LED Instrument Panel Bulbs

Driving back from Goodwood yesterday in the dark I was having difficulty reading my instruments - particularly when you have an SUV with super bright lights sitting on your tail and his lights are just about level with your head.

So, I'm thinking about fitting some LED instrument lights.  Would I be right in thinking that I will need to do something with the Panel Light rheostat because that won't work with LEDs, even if I leave a couple of the bulbs as incandescent?

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

Yes Ian - there have been a couple of threads on that topic.  Leaving a couple of standard bulbs might help a bit, but not much. Might as well change the lot.  Do you really need a rheostat though if you can fix the lights at the brightness you want........?

Edited by RobH
5 hours ago, Lebro said:

This dimmer circuit works for me

Me too (thanks Bob). Maybe obvious (wasn't to me) but you need to change all the bulbs to LED. If they're a mixture the dimmer will be less effective.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:37 AM, Lebro said:

1231800771_Dashlampdimming.jpg.3339b145cc1440893613ad868baaa921.jpg  This dimmer circuit works for me

Bob

Bob 

being an electrical numpty is that using the standard rheostat and are those resistors additional?

many thanks 

Iain

Iain.

No not the standard rheostat, but a 100 ohm wire wound "potentiometer"  I used one like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391584895037?hash=item5b2c47503d:g:IQQAAOSwLF1X9WZQ

Then modified the spindle to match the "PANEL" knob I had

Bob

Edited by Lebro