Amco style boot rack

Has anyone any idea what the weight limit of the Amco style boot rack is when attached to the TR4?  Would 40 lbs be too much?  What do people think?  I dont want to distort the boot lid. I've e-mailed suppliers but got no replies yet. Mike

On 9/21/2021 at 6:35 AM, ctc77965o said:

If you hit a bump with a load on such a boot rack it will smash your boot hinges....having the boot itself fully loaded helps resist deflection of the boot hinge, but its still load that the hinge was never designed for.

Sorry how can it do this? The boot lid rests on the rubber seal and cannot move when shut tight. I have had no problem in 5 years.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:29 PM, MikeyB1 said:

Has anyone any idea what the weight limit of the Amco style boot rack is when attached to the TR4?  Would 40 lbs be too much?  What do people think?  I dont want to distort the boot lid. I've e-mailed suppliers but got no replies yet. Mike

There are 4 contact points between the amco rack and the body, 2 x at the hinges which transfers the load into the boot lid and rear deck via the hinges. The other contacts are via the vertical rear boot lid section x 2 ( these need to be with solid shank close fitting bolts to transfer the load). I used to have 2 x suitcases weighing around 30 KG the pair ! back in the 80s transported thus with no drama. 
At 40 lbs divided by the 4 contact points makes 10 lbs per point… or about 4 bags of sugar each point. I should think it’s fine.

Mick Richards

I have an original Amco boot rack made in Hollywood California. Don't know what its load capacity would be except that it was strong enough when in Spain a few years back a child decided to use it as a 'ladder' to climb over the boot, up and over the Surrey screen and into the car. Apparently this is normal there since its parents stood and watched as he did it. Unfortunately for them (and the child) I could speak enough Spanish to tell them off. I would guess he was well over 3 stone (42 lbs) in weight.

I think the weakest parts are the flatter middle bars that connect to the round side bars. Any load would be best wide enough to sit on the side bars. The other obvious consideration is to have the load low enough so you can see over it through the rear view mirror.

Meanwhile does anyone know how I can preserve the label and get the rack re-chromed.

Keith

Edited by keith1948
spelling