Cylinder Head Studs

50 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Mick,

Inflation has bitten your £30 set is now £120!

Au Contrair Batman !

The Hazet set is £120, it is a bit more up market. Wheras the Neilson set I bought for £30 is not shown currently on Amazon but another set is 

KS Tools 150.1305 Stud extractor set, 25 pcs Brand: KS Tools

4.0 out of 5 stars    74 ratings

RRP:£67.37£67.37   Deal Price:£30.64 & FREE Returns 

You Save:£36.73£36.73 (55%)

Or on e bay still available https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEILSEN-25pc-SPLINE-TYPE-SCREW-BROKEN-STUD-EXTRACTOR-SET-CT2274/172279869503

But at £19.99 ! I wuz robbed  :o

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
  • 3 weeks later...

Final Answer

News of a result.  Block collected yesterday from small machine shop local to me.  Unable to remove the broken UNC thread portion left at the bottom of the deep hole, he drilled down at 12mm stud size to clear the hole.  Then followed by tapping the hole for an M16 thread the full depth.  He has created a new stud of the same length, and diameter as the original, but with the M16 thread at the bottom end.  Leaving the thread on the whole depth has left the clear hole for the stud shaft when installed only approximately 1.5 mm wider than it was.  The stud he says is from material better than the original and will take the required 105lb/ft torque, no problem.  The stud he created is a beautiful job complete with the UNF top thread.

Nice to be reminded that among all the degradation going on in this great big commercial world, there are still some people with skill that can be trusted to help.

Unfortunately its difficult  finding them.

Thanks for your interest.

John   

new stud.jpg

Yep, just as was said in post number 3, the deep holes have surprising amounts of remaining material you can "up size" M16 threads into.

I think I have a spare M16 head stud I carried thereafter (never used) in the racing spares box in case of a problem with the M16 stud I made to get me out of the cack.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 2:04 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

Au Contrair Batman !

The Hazet set is £120, it is a bit more up market. Wheras the Neilson set I bought for £30 is not shown currently on Amazon but another set is 

KS Tools 150.1305 Stud extractor set, 25 pcs Brand: KS Tools

4.0 out of 5 stars    74 ratings

RRP:£67.37£67.37   Deal Price:£30.64 & FREE Returns 

You Save:£36.73£36.73 (55%)

Or on e bay still available https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEILSEN-25pc-SPLINE-TYPE-SCREW-BROKEN-STUD-EXTRACTOR-SET-CT2274/172279869503

But at £19.99 ! I wuz robbed  :o

Mick Richards

I had not come across these before, and although not needing one right now I purchased one of the Neilson sets at £19.99.  I know it is most likely Chinese, but I have to say I am impressed by the quality. I look forward to the day when I can try it out even if I hope I will never need it.

Ralph