TuRK melted part of it's loom!

Got a call from my cousin earlier this morning to tell me he started up TuRK to go to Goodwood and there was smoke coming out of the boot, so he took his TR6! The rear part of the loom that feeds the lights etc had melted. I replaced the loom in early 2010 and had no problems since. I suspect the boot full of spares he drove off with had split the insulation and crushed the wires together or at least I hope it's that simple?

Autosparks will only sell a complete loom at £177 (of course!) rather than make up just the rear section, so before it get's to that stage I'll check the loom out over the weekend as if there's a deeper issue then it'll only happen again. 

In the meantime, other than checking and separating out the wires what else may have caused this?

Cheers, Andrew

3.thumb.JPG.78c667c32c00f4c8a816a013fd64faa3.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.6223e82ac398c2052bb9b3cce142e231.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.ffd79a2ab2c31abdc383ceea596c3c5b.JPG

Most likely caused by damage to the insulation as you say or maybe a short in one lamp housing. Don't forget the power comes from the front of the car, so other bits of the loom that you cannot see may also be affected as it must have carried the current. Unfortunately  as standard there is no fuse for the sidelight circuit on a 3A. 

Looks as if your right Andrew, more than likely something in the boot caused it, check for where the wires are the most fused together thats often the seat of it, I would fit a complete new loom regardless as you dont know if its compromised the insulation somewhere else. TR Shop looms are fine.

Stuart.

Ugh.  I feel for ya, Andrew.

I'd probably do as Stuart suggests, too, and replace the loom.  But I'd kinda dread tackling it -- especially behind the dash.  

Have the bulbs in the rear lamps been replaced recently?

It is not uncommon the bend the metal bulb housing back as you push the bulb in   That earthing part may be touching the brass terminals that the bulb contacts 

A bit late now, but late model 3A and 3Bs for the American market only, had an additional inline fuse in the power supply cable from the light switch which protects the front and rear sidelights and the panel lights, my 1960 3A has it ( USA Import), and would be an easy upgrade. It must have been a US requirement, but why it was never included from the start on all cars I don`t know, after all an inline fuse holder and fuse wouldn`t break the bank I`m sure.  The turn signals and brake light wiring is protected by the main fuse box ignition controlled side.

Ralph