Decided to order some ethanol resistant fuel hose from Merlin Motorsport & wondered what people’s preferences or recommendations are. Standard reinforced rubber fuel hose ok to +50 degrees, a higher spec rubber hose to +125 degrees or probably my preference of fabric braided rated to +60 degrees. All are at least E10 rated & to the din73379 spec for use with fuels.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:18 AM, stuart said:

Its the R number you need to check for, minimum R9 but my preference and what I fit is R14.

Stuart.

Stuart, reading various posts I get the impression that R14 is the low pressure version (not suitable for injected cars) of R9 which is a high pressure hose for injected cars & presumably ok for carbs. Getting confused now & worried about the reading of some makes of hose failing. Can you recommend something? 

On 9/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, monty said:

Stuart, reading various posts I get the impression that R14 is the low pressure version (not suitable for injected cars) of R9 which is a high pressure hose for injected cars & presumably ok for carbs. Getting confused now & worried about the reading of some makes of hose failing. Can you recommend something? 

Thats from ill informed people who dont read the specs of the links I put up. The part number you want is Gates 4219-06038 Gates R14

Stuart.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, stuart said:

Thats from ill informed people who dont read the specs of the links I put up.

...and for ill-informed people who think 105psi is "high pressure". It ain't, in the world of hose manufacturers. Several thousand psi is more like it. But as you say, read the specs!

John

Edited by JohnC
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple of weeks I have been doing a bit of work on the engine of my TR6, this work involved removing a lot of the plumbing.

I was quite surprised how hard the petrol hoses had become these pipes have been on the car for less then 5 years and are marked as R4 ethanol resistant, is this normal? Has ethanol resistant fuel hose a much shorter life span? Other pipes such as the float chamber vent line are not ethanol resistant, older and far more pliable.

Obviously the fuel lines need replacing with somthing resistant to  E10, so to minimise the amount of hose I have made up hard lines with cunifer pipe which looks quite neat but I am now wondering if solder is the way to go for the tee between the carbs? Any advice would be most appreciated 

George 

20211005_180222.jpg

26 minutes ago, stillp said:

I read on a US forum that ethanol can corrode solder, so might not be a great idea. Apparently it has caused problems with carburettor floats leaking.

Pete

I hadn't thought of the effect of the ethanol on the solder, my concern was heat and vibration. I think with this extra element I shall change the soldered tee for a barbed tee and stubs of hose.

George