Just bought a TR6

Hi

I have previously owned a couple of Stags but moved onto other classics, but am now returning to Triumph with my first TR6.

It’s a decent example from 1972 that had a restoration in 2012 and a few improvement since. 
150bhp version with overdrive in 2,3,4

Only picked it up today so lots to learn about the car.

Would appreciate advice on any obviously pitfalls to look out for.

These are pics from a previous advert for the car.

DD42012F-988E-4BBA-931F-5828653B7D73.jpeg

32EA51D8-B1C2-48B6-90DF-13588585AC79.jpeg

FBB1AB38-C61B-40C3-9C8D-D4263403BB36.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Scaf said:

Hi

I have previously owned a couple of Stags but moved onto other classics, but am now returning to Triumph with my first TR6.

It’s a decent example from 1972 that had a restoration in 2012 and a few improvement since. 
150bhp version with overdrive in 2,3,4

Only picked it up today so lots to learn about the car.

Would appreciate advice on any obviously pitfalls to look out for.

These are pics from a previous advert for the car.

DD42012F-988E-4BBA-931F-5828653B7D73.jpeg

32EA51D8-B1C2-48B6-90DF-13588585AC79.jpeg

FBB1AB38-C61B-40C3-9C8D-D4263403BB36.jpeg

The earth lead from battery to bulkhead/gearbox looks like it s/b replaced otherwise looks to be a nice car!

Bruce.

Thanks for the comments guys, there are a few little things I have spotted , like the earth strap, non standard hose and even a cable tie or two where metal clips should be, but with a little fettling it will be a cracker.

It pulls very well, but not as well as the 302 V8 Mustang with quad 48 Weber carbs that it replaces. How we it’s stops and goes round corners much better !

Hi,

When I bought mine I went over it checking every nut, bolt, hose clip, clamp etc. for tightness/condition and was surprised by what I found. The simple act of putting a spanner/screwdriver to something helped me “see” things rather than just “looking” at them. Worked well for me and I found nothing too alarming but found it a great way to get to know the car. 

3 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Hi,

When I bought mine I went over it checking every nut, bolt, hose clip, clamp etc. for tightness/condition and was surprised by what I found. The simple act of putting a spanner/screwdriver to something helped me “see” things rather than just “looking” at them. Worked well for me and I found nothing too alarming but found it a great way to get to know the car. 

I agree, and also take a good look at any electrics that have been added over the years !

I removed many metres of dodgy electrics from both of my TR6s when i bought them :-)

steve

Hello Chap, a name would be nice, makes things so much more informal.

You look to have bought a lovely car, and sure you'll have much enjoyment in the coming months and years.

Ask any question, you'll find help here, but think about going along to your local group meeting, and joining the TR Register as well, all great moves that will much enhance your TR'ing time.

ATB

John.

Looks like a nice tidy later CP Pi car. Main thing to check is the thrust washer wear...Use a screwdriver on the Crank Pulley fore and aft against the cross brace bar...All being well (fingers crossed) any movement will be tiny! Your injector fuel lines are all over the place, and should be gathered together with a tie to make it look neater.

TR6 Engine 4.JPG

2 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Looks like a nice tidy later CP Pi car. Main thing to check is the thrust washer wear...Use a screwdriver on the Crank Pulley fore and aft against the cross brace bar...All being well (fingers crossed) any movement will be tiny! Your injector fuel lines are all over the place, and should be gathered together with a tie to make it look neater.

TR6 Engine 4.JPG

Great thanks - I agree it does need a tidy up

All the best people have a '72!

Tim

20210914_215457.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, Scaf said:

Sound advice guys thanks - 

I will go though the car looking for the obvious and have tracked down a chap nr Gt Missenden who works exclusively on Triumph and loves a TR6 which is reassuring 

Sam

Hi Sam,

Nice looking car, I’m sure you will have plenty if fun going forwards. I would strongly echo the advice about joining your local TR Reg Group, they can give you advice on the best people to use locally to assist with your car based on years of experience.

If the chap in Gt Missenden is the person I think you mean then I should mention he quoted me over 2 grand to fix a cracked diff mount (a common fault). Basically replacing everything with new, cross members etc. Following advice from my local Group I took my car to Wallingford and he cut a hole in the floor behind the seats rewelded with a stronger bracket to prevent the problem recurring. Rewelded the hole in the floor and changed my diff seals for less tha £700. This was much further away but in my opinion definitely worth the journey. Of course it depends on the level of assistance you might need but the “reviews” from your local group members are genuine and based on a lot of real experience. Along with this forum they can also give great advice to help and give you the confidence to do more yourself than you might otherwise attempt….at least this was the case for me.

Happy TR’ing

Cheers Rob

20 hours ago, Crawfie said:

Nope , sorry , a ‘71 is ….

6DE51AD5-4A55-4DCD-8D32-80DD21932D29.jpeg

:-)

The chap in Bucks does seem a bit pricey, I got a price to give it a thorough check over and service which was more than I pay for a service on my Granturismo!

I will do the service myself and replace the few little things I have spotted and see how it goes.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

How do I locate and join my local group ?

thanks