What's happening to sidescreen TR sales?

10 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I think all 3 examples that David quoted at the start of this thread were overpriced to start with. Take the TR3 for example, just because it has cost you £42,000 to restore does not make it worth £42,000, as the owner found out. But then when the price is reduced dramatically to £25,000, I for one start to wonder what is wrong with it, and there becomes a stigma attached. Had it been advertised at the "proper" price to start with it would probably have sold. 

Ralph

I think you have a point, Ralph.

Yes, it was overpriced, considering that it was a US import. Previous attempts at advertising it included a very big wodge of invoices, more than suggesting a lot of restoration work was carried out on the vehicle.

Ciao,

David

i don't wish to stir up a hornets nest but what difference does being an import make? so what if it had lots of restoration work? it may have been good restoration work, after all it was made on the same production line, honestly there seems to me there is a problem with attitudes over UK verses US cars.

16 minutes ago, R.M. said:

i don't wish to stir up a hornets nest but what difference does being an import make? so what if it had lots of restoration work? it may have been good restoration work, after all it was made on the same production line, honestly there seems to me there is a problem with attitudes over UK verses US cars.

I doubt it makes a difference.  It is the size of the market for these cars that matters and that needs to be expanded through exposure to areas outside of the current Triumph enthusiasts.

As we are all TR enthusiasts we should be happy with low prices, so we can buy more. One of the big issues, in my opinion, is that the classic car scene is and was invaded by people who were trying to make some cash, and then the real enthusiasts were hooped.

Anyway, a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if the buyer is happy to part with his cash then who are we to question this. Fact is that North America is still more down to earth when talking prices, just because most cars were send over here from new. 

Personally, I have difficulties believing the prices that some TR's fetch in Europe, I would never be able to afford one if I lived in Britain.

Yves

I guess I was curious about why TRs are not selling or taking much longer to sell. I have no problem myself with sidescreen cars that were exported to the US. I was just noting that it seems to be a consideration, in choice or valuation. My personal interest was to buy back the 2 I had a long time ago, but I failed. My consolation was to discover that it's in good hands!

I am also very glad there are more affordable ones in the US.

I am not so sure about the argument that things are worth what a customer is willing to pay. So, for argument's sake, if someone were willing to pay four times more that would make it ethical, OK? Hmm. Prices were inflated and in Europe especially still are.

It's a good thing "the market" of speculators have moved on to greener pastures. Good luck to them! Classic cars as commodities? Oh, please!

David Owen is right. The nub of the matter is to focus on finding ways to increase the visibility of these cars to newcomers, genuine enthusiasts. And it's good if prices settle so a TR can be be more affordable!

Ciao,

David

My son who works at concession  for a well known sports car brand loves to drive my 3a, as he says you have to work at driving it but the sounds and sensations are worth it, he especially loves the exhaust note. I was seriously looking at selling the car a couple of months ago but the backlash from the entire family put a stop to that.

just enjoy driving the cars, when I bought mine from the states to restore it, the cost was relatively cheap, I could not believe that the values went up to 16 thousand euros a couple of years later and these days it is nothing to see a car advertised for over 30 thousand. But my cars value is in the memories it has created for my entire family, which is something I did not realise till recently 

cheers

Alan