Heater matrix test pressure

Could anyone advise a sensible pressure to test the heater matrix on a tr250 please. My  gut feeling is that the system should be designed to  withstand the radiator pressure relief  cap plus a safety margin.I do not want to reassemble my dash and find I have a faulty matrix!

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I first cleaned my matrix with acidic acid dissolved in hot water (the stuff used in water cookers), and then tested with I think 1 barg (some 14psig) air, and submerged in water and all was fine. So not up to the original full pressure test-pressure that would nowadays be used in industry, but more to what is called a leak test. If I had repaired the matrix however (like soldering), I would probably have gone a bit further, but I did not see the need for that.

Waldi

Thanks Waldi. I rigged up my heater for a water pressure test today and it burst at 0.5 bar. I had intended taking it up to 1 bar. The plan was to test it before reassembling the dash wiring etc. and I was surprised that it went at such a low pressure. I think plan B now is to buy a new matrix, so another case of one step forward and one or two back!!!!

On my TR6 and GT6 heaters, after acid cleaning, I pressure tested to at least double the rating of the radiator cap.  This was an attempt to account for the fact that the test was run cold, while the core will normally see pressure when hot.

Ed

Thanks Waldi. I rigged up my heater for a water pressure test today and it burst at 0.5 bar. I had intended taking it up to 1 bar. The plan was to test it before reassembling the dash wiring etc. and I was surprised that it went at such a low pressure. I think plan B now is to buy a new matrix, so another case of one step forward and one or two back!!!!