20210527_134225.thumb.jpg.4597c242436f3b7e5f5b1e431c986b9c.jpgWell they say the road to recovery starts by first admitting you have a problem - well mine is TR Projects

Just agreed to purchase a TR2 Long Door (project)!

Few issues but basically a decent starting point, I’ve seen a lot  worse. Says it is a 1955 but I think it’s earlier car the number is in the low TS2000 range. Imported in 1989 but not restored or registered but all plates are there. Not original engine as this is TS79…E.

I’ve sent for the Heritage Certificate  hopefully that will shed some more light on its DNA.

A few pictures attached and yes I must keep attending my Therapy Group!

dorry if my photos are a bit naff but it’s the first time I’ve uploaded multiple photos

769172F8-D784-4459-9725-CADAD1376BD2 2.heicPhil

8F9939D0-4E76-493A-8C1B-48CBC8F8E4ED.jpeg

2F14EAFF-E0D0-4AA9-88BB-4804701BC9AD.jpeg

BEAE020C-8092-4144-95F6-CE5A2332F5C6.jpeg

13A0DD1A-D172-4F7E-AC7F-559D5D1C59D3.jpeg

FC999611-5CD1-4A67-90FB-EE9BE21F05D4.jpeg

Edited by PGB BME

Looks like a really good starting point and the added bonus of still having the internal bonnet lock mechanism fitted. Probably built April/May 54. US reg of 55 is pretty usual as any sold there after about June of any given year would be registered as being the next years model.

Stuart.

Yes, and we need only compare this TR2 to the "Not for the faint hearted" post of a TR3 which looks beyond repair.

It looks like an unmessed engine bay. Apart from the heater mechanism, from a TR4, I think. Has the early inlet manifold and 1 1/4" SUs. Also, don't the photos suggest some work has been done on the body?

Ciao,

David

David

The previous owner had started to do work on the car, there’s invoices for inner outer sills and the work looks ok. 

Bits of rust to do at the bottom corners of the rear apron , possibly a floor pan but generally the chassis and tub are reasonably solid. Boot and spare wheel compartment also good.

unusually he has filled between the front shroud and the wing, I can feel the edges of both through the headlamp hole so don’t know why he’s done this.

No doubt there will be more once I can look in more detail in the garage

Phil

14 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Bob

I might have used the wrong term but definitely had sill work 

I’ll post but I won’t get the vehicle for a few weeks

Phil

Probably inner sill then, they still suffer with rot behind the front wings and behind the rear quarters Though quite a few long door cars were converted to short doors back not long after the advent of short door versions for obvious reasons when you lived with one.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

In the 1960s, even with short doors, opening a door alongside a pavement in London could present a problem.  Especially if a passenger had got into the car, which left the door jammed on the pavement, so both passenger and I would have to get out, then I would get onto the pavement and partially close and lift the passenger door while passenger got back in .

Ian Cornish

I notice the oil filler cap is at the rear of the engine instead of at the front as it was on my TR3a when I acquired it. I subsequently replaced my very rusty valve cover with one from a TR4 which also has the filler at the rear. 

Rgds Ian