TR4 Steering column Stays

Hi

I'm refitting the upper steering column on my  1963 RHD TR4 and I need some help. The parts I have match the plate on the Revington website, (which is different to Moss). All seems simple but I can't remember or work out where the part 21 fits.

Thanks

Paul

image.png

IMG_1663.JPG

It goes from the Ally clamp thats bolted to the back of the dash and up to the back of the plenum near where the vent flap rod hole is, theres a captive in the plenum for it.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

I think I have already fitted the stay you have described, item 35 in the above picture. To be honest these two rods looks very similar but the one I'm stuck with is longer. I was expecting it to fit underneath between the two column clamps, but it is too long for that.

After looking a bit more, only place it looks to fit, is between the switch plinth bolt mounting hole, near the vent flap lever on the dash, and a hole in the side of the steering column mounting bracket on the bulkhead. But is this doesn't seem right?

Thanks

Paul

57 minutes ago, gloide69 said:

Thanks Stuart

I think I have already fitted the stay you have described, item 35 in the above picture. To be honest these two rods looks very similar but the one I'm stuck with is longer. I was expecting it to fit underneath between the two column clamps, but it is too long for that.

After looking a bit more, only place it looks to fit, is between the switch plinth bolt mounting hole, near the vent flap lever on the dash, and a hole in the side of the steering column mounting bracket on the bulkhead. But is this doesn't seem right?

Thanks

Paul

It goes underneath the column bulkhead bracket and back.

Stuart.

Hi Paul,

I think you will find that the item in your photo is item 29, which is for a LHD car.

The required RHD stay is 611834, item 25 in the Moss catalogue, which is much shorter, one end is flat and straight whilst the other has a 90 degree bend with a single hole.

The LHD stay can be shortened and a 90 degree bend put in (plenty of heat and a hammer) to make it work.

My take on the installation of the two stays is as follows :

TR4 Steering Column Stays – RHD Cars

The Upper Dash Support Stay 611532 is located on the nearside of the steering column, its upper outer end is connected to a captive nut high up on the inside of the bulkhead and then come diagonally back down and is bolted to the splayed wing of the alloy upper column clamp part 611530.

The first photo attached is viewed through the dash panel and shows each bolted connection of the Upper Stay.

The Lower Dash Support Stay 611834 should also be positioned along the nearside of the steering column and the bulkhead end, which is straight and flat, is bolted to the left-hand bolt on the bracket welded to the bulkhead which supports the steering column.

The other end of the stay has a 90 degree bend which bolted onto the nearside stud which is welded to the back of the dash panel and on top of the alloy bracket, part 611529, which cradles the underside of the steering column.

The second photo attached is viewed from below and shows the lower stay and each bolted end.

With both these stays in place the steering column is very solidly located.

I always find it best to follow the Moss Catalogue, better than a Workshop Manual and certainly better than the Original Spare Part Catalogue.

Regards, Richard

TR4 Upper steering column stay - 611532.jpg

TR4 Lower steering column stay - 611834.JPG

Thanks Richard

I'm getting myself confused about the lower stay rod. Moss are listing 2 parts 611834 for RHD and 611531 for LHD. I can't see why they would need to be different.

The 611834 is as you describe with the 90deg bend on one end, and  fitted as in your picture, I've just re-read the Revington info against this part and now things are becoming clearer:

"Not available new, use second hand part 611834SH. This has one end turned at 90 degrees and is fitted to TR4, 4A, 5, 250 and early 6 between the bulkhead steering column support and the dash steering column support

A second support which is straight, part number 611531 goes between the bulkhead steering column support and the dash to counteract the choke cable pull action. A third shorter rod 611532 it attached between the plenum chamber adjacent to the heater and the top of the dash steering column support. See below"

It looks like I'm missing the 611834 but have the 611531, which looks to fit as I suspected:

(TR4A picture found from the internet)

image.png.991f1e24c076f34f56011bd804bbcc77.png

I wonder it these 2 stay rods where an either or fitment or whether I should have both?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Well this is new one to me, I have a copy of a two page TR Revington RHD conversion document which makes no mention of this third stay – however this document is years old so must have been updated.

A stay in this position makes good sense as the original SU H6 carbs have a choke control system that more often than not is extremely stiff to operate.

I think I must have the original 611531 LHD stay from my car, so I am going to try and find it to see if it will fit...!!!

Regards, Richard