Useful thing, or just bling?

Over t'Pond, Goodparts have marketed a Billet Timing Cover, to enable cam timing adjustment without removing the whole cover:

image.thumb.png.d1f5253f49e7201dd5a7ddec69565900.png

See: https://www.goodparts.com/product/timing-cover-two-piece-aluminum/   

Not cheap at $399 (£290), but Moss are selling the identical item, even describing it as 'made by Goodparts' for a mark-up of $100!

John

9 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Over t'Pond, Goodparts have marketed a Billet Timing Cover, to enable cam timing adjustment without removing the whole cover:

Not cheap at $399 (£290), but Moss are selling the identical item, even describing it as 'made by Goodparts' for a mark-up of $100!

John

By the time you get it here and pay import and VAT you`ll probably find it`ll be the same price as Moss.

Stuart.

I bought one of those timing covers last year, I have many of Richard Good's parts already fitted to my car. Like everything else he supplies the timing cover looks like an excellent, well made piece kit. It already has a chain tensioner fitted and even that looks much better than the standard set up. I only looked at it briefly before despatching it to my loft for future fitment, possibly over this coming winter along with a camshaft change.

Richard.

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

John

$399! But it is marked at 9 pence on the cover :rolleyes:.

I'll get my coat

Edited by Kiwifrog
more info
15 minutes ago, ntc said:

It’s bling and the purpose is what?

Bling is my guilty pleasure, John Davies I'm sure will testify to that. It may also be of some benefit to the racers amongst us who might like to fiddle about with cam timing without the removal of loads of other items, I don't know? If so, if a racer is that particular, any benefit may be lost on weight, the Goodparts cover weighs a lot more than the original timing cover.

Each to their own, the car belongs to them and they can fit, change & modify it any which way they please.

Richard.

Bit is it practical ?

is the hole big enough to get the sprocket out to flip it if that 1/2 tooth adjustment is needed?

To be fair to Goodparts Hamish they have an excellent name and research their parts for efficacy and quality. I would be surprised if the part hadn't been passed as fit for purpose on that.

Mick Richards 

Cam sprocket to use with that cover will be one of these vernier adjustable things, so no need to remove and turn over.   ( if it were a wet liner engine)   Twin row chain 6 cyl cam sprockets are not symmetrical so cannot be flipped, leaving min degree change at about 4 degrees for a 1/4 turn of the wheel.

https://www.goodparts.com/product/cam-sprocket-adjustable-double-row-tr6-hardened/

image.jpeg.c67db8b69b48775f025fcbc0929d8bab.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
15 hours ago, Richard71 said:

Bling is my guilty pleasure, John Davies I'm sure will testify to that. It may also be of some benefit to the racers amongst us who might like to fiddle about with cam timing without the removal of loads of other items, I don't know? If so, if a racer is that particular, any benefit may be lost on weight, the Goodparts cover weighs a lot more than the original timing cover.

Each to their own, the car belongs to them and they can fit, change & modify it any which way they please.

Richard.

"Bling is my guilty pleasure" - is surely the Quote of the Day! :D

The only reason I would buy the "bling-bling" is that most used covers are corroded and warped. I have currently 3 of them on my workbench

1. corroded and warped. TDC marking OK.

2. corroded. TDC marking off.

3. warped. TDC marking OK, slightly corroded.

Trying to get at least one of them to match my requirements for my second engine.

Edited by JochemsTR

It's a thing of beauty! I wish I could justify it. I have occasionally (er, twice) lamented what a pain it is to change the cam timing. I think I would need a vernier cam thing and a new cam to justify the purchase. Where's my piggy bank? :)

John

22 minutes ago, FatJon said:

My winter project is to build a new engine with a bit more oomph and one of these and a vernier is on the Christmas list.

As said above FatJon,  Goodparts stuff is excellent, I've never heard any negative reports on his parts. No connection, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

What are you planning to do to your new engine, which choice of camshaft etc?

Richard.

Richard, thank you for the internal pic!   Is the spring secured by a stud, and is the spring an OE pattern?

Your comments after you have built your new enegien wiol be most gratfeully received.

JohnC, I'm sure that a verniar cam sprocket is required with this.

JohnD

Timing chain tensioner looks like a standard type spring steel thing.

Did anyone ever try to fit a couple of Mini A+ spring tensioner that are plastic encased?  Mini has a single row chain.

https://new.minimania.com/part/12G2621/Classic-Austin-Mini-A-Camshaft-Timing-Chain-Tensioner

image.jpeg.4889fbc65fd0baa581411eec0f8b3e03.jpeg