SEAT BELT REEL PLACEMENT

Hi all,

I recently fitted new inertia reel seat belts to my 4a with the reel located at the base of the wheel arch so the belt pulls out in a vertical direction.

I have tried adjusting them but they are very difficult to pull out and seem to jam up across the headrests.

In actual fact they have become a pain to put on.

I was wondering if there is a unit that I could locate on top of the wheel arch, I have tried this with the current unit but it just locks up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Lee

Can you post a pic of your setup ..ie with the reel at the base of the wheel arch.

Is the belt being drawn out in the vertical direction...do you have a secondary attachment point on top of the arch?

Most inertia reels only work if the belt entry is vertical.

20 hours ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi all,

I recently fitted new inertia reel seat belts to my 4a with the reel located at the base of the wheel arch so the belt pulls out in a vertical direction.

I have tried adjusting them but they are very difficult to pull out and seem to jam up across the headrests.

In actual fact they have become a pain to put on.

I was wondering if there is a unit that I could locate on top of the wheel arch, I have tried this with the current unit but it just locks up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Lee

What you need is the Securon 514/30 Part way down this page http://www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm

Then you can fit the reel on top of the arch.

Stuart.

I have Securon belts on my TR4A, and mounted them at the base of the arches. I also added a steel belt guide to the roll over bar I also have fitted. So the belt goes vertical from the reel, through the guide, then almost horizontal to the seat back. I also added a belt guide to the headrest posts (I have MX5 seats), to bring the belt easier to hand.
However because of the extra drag on the belt from the guide, I needed to add more strength to the racket action. I removed the belt from the ratchet drum assembly, and gave the spring loaded drum a few extra turns to increase the force of the spring. Then reattached the belt. This was a fiddly job as I had to keep the drum from “unloading” with one hand while refitting the belt with other. It worked.

Jim

76465BFC-D611-449E-9FD1-460FA7C6419A.jpeg

1F924B08-C6A0-4E23-BEA4-565384410EC6.jpeg