TR6 Ignition Switch/Steering Lock failure

My ignition switch has just lost its central "drive" position.  After turning the key the engine fires, but then dies as the ignition switch reverts to the "off" position (although the fuel pump keeps running, but the ignition and oil lights go out, and no feed to the coil/distributor).  Being integral with the steering lock its an absolute B!!stard to remove.    Any suggestions as to an alternative fix, or else any tips for removing the steering lock?  Andy Mimosa TR6 KAU 352N

Hi Andy

You should be able to remove the switch part from the steering lock by undoing the 2 tiny screws that hold the white block with the wires, on to the metal lock. The screws are opposite each other and may be obscured by the plactic cone shaped cover which will pull back to reveal the wire connections. The other end of the wire will have a plug that joins the loom. 

With the 2 screws and the plug removed the switch part can be taken off the car for examination or replacement leaving the steering lock in place  

Good luck. Laurence. 

Thankyou Laurence!  I'll try that.  I'm not at the car just now (waiting for a flight at Gatwick).  I managed to get a look at the white block at the back of the switch with the wires, hoping that I could jiggle it about and remove it so I could "hot wire" the connections, but I don't remember seeing a plastic cone shaped cover.  I'll take a closer look when I get back, but I may need to take the seat out in order to get under the dash for a proper look.

Thanks again,

Andy

48 minutes ago, lachouette said:

Thankyou Laurence!  I'll try that.  I'm not at the car just now (waiting for a flight at Gatwick).  I managed to get a look at the white block at the back of the switch with the wires, hoping that I could jiggle it about and remove it so I could "hot wire" the connections, but I don't remember seeing a plastic cone shaped cover.  I'll take a closer look when I get back, but I may need to take the seat out in order to get under the dash for a proper look.

Thanks again,

Andy

Once youve got the white block section out you just need a short wide blade screwdriver to start the car as its a similar shaped piece that connects the lock to the switch.

Stuart.

Thanks everyone.  From your various replies, it seems that I need to unscrew the two small screws in the body of the Steering lock (no way I would have noticed those without your help!), extract the switch (the white plastic barrel) and disconnect it from the loom, then replace with a new switch.  

I am assuming that the metal barrel that the key goes into simply operates the steering lock, and the positioning of the key (Off, Aux, Ignition, Start) is controlled within the switch barrel? 

Sorry, I'm hampered by not being at the car right now, so this is homework to get me up to speed before doing the contortionist act.  I've done several european tours, and this is the first time I've found myself immobilised and completely stumped, although in extremis I suppose I would have simply hot wired the ignition from the battery to get me home.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Just to finish up on this topic - my car was exported to Detroit and repatriated and converted the RHD in 1994.  So it has a 6 terminal ignition switch which had been approximately connected to a RHD harness (ie 4 wires) using bullet connectors (so no connection block, as supplied with the replacement 6 terminal switch).  Lots of fiddling under the dash to remake the connections with the new switch, which has indents to receive the two small locating screws.  But my barrel has only one locating screw, at 90' to the indents, so I used cable ties to hold the switch into the barrel.  All working now, and many thanks again to the Forum for shedding light on this relatively inaccessible component.