Electrical question

Hi, Looking for clarity around my alternator and wiring on a new to me car.

All of the wiring digrams I have show 3 wires connected to the alternator where I have only 2 (shown in photo), and also the wing mounted wiring connector (also shown in photo) only has connections on one side where others I have seen have connection on both. Also, what is that connector called.?

I have a number or wiring gremlins so am trying to work it through.

Thanks

Tim

IMG_6578.thumb.jpg.0b9995720e141f6d812742431817a465.jpg

IMG_6576.thumb.jpg.e5916954bcbe5e98e8f9d5fa7765fdd2.jpg

Edited by timpress

At a guess it looks to me that you have a hybrid layout Tim. The connector block was originally for an alternator which was not 'machine sensing' and needed a voltage sense wire direct to the battery, which would have been connected on the other side of that block (brown/red shown below). At some point the alternator has been changed for the later type with only two connections so that wire has been removed as have the other links on the alternator. 

alt2.jpg.ccbe2e59f2cf7241e2a970a636c15468.jpg

Tim, RobH,

Can I extend the original question a bit. I’m about to put new alternator in and have the old five connector cables currently. From what I can see in the wiring diagram, the black earth cable is no longer needed (must be earthed via the bolted alternator?), the link cable that does the loop (brown and yellow) is no longer needed, and the brown and red is no longer needed. The cable that runs to the dash indicator light (also brown and yellow), and the main positive power that feeds battery via Amp meter (brown and white) is connected in the new Alternator arrangement. Is this correct?

On my car the NR is just N (brown). I can’t see any red on it but believe it is the same wire run. I haven’t connected up yet but aiming to wire / connect as above. Current cables picture below. I think the old alternator was original and from 1969 era. I’ve  just disconnected the old Alt and not reset any cable yet.

New alternator has three connectors that are used. Two are +ve main connectors for the main brown white line. Ether can be used I believe. And the other is smaller connector for the brown yellow to the dash indicator. (There are another two connections on the alternator but these are shown as not used). So although there are three connectors on the new Alt, only two of the old cables connect to it.

So if this is right, I’ll end up with same wiring as Tim showed above. Would be good to know if I’m on correct track or not?

0C875726-4F98-4D45-99C4-476EC30AB231.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Martin50 said:

From what I can see in the wiring diagram, the black earth cable is no longer needed (must be earthed via the bolted alternator?),

Yes that is right

the link cable that does the loop (brown and yellow) is no longer needed, and the brown and red is no longer needed. The cable that runs to the dash indicator light (also brown and yellow), and the main positive power that feeds battery via Amp meter (brown and white) is connected in the new Alternator arrangement. Is this correct?

Again - yes

On my car the NR is just N (brown). I can’t see any red on it but believe it is the same wire run. I haven’t connected up yet but aiming to wire / connect as above. Current cables picture below. I think the old alternator was original and from 1969 era. I’ve  just disconnected the old Alt and not reset any cable yet.

New alternator has three connectors that are used. Two are +ve main connectors for the main brown white line. Ether can be used I believe. And the other is smaller connector for the brown yellow to the dash indicator. (There are another two connections on the alternator but these are shown as not used). So although there are three connectors on the new Alt, only two of the old cables connect to it.

Correct, you can use either of the large connectors for the Brown/White output lead. 

So if this is right, I’ll end up with same wiring as Tim showed above. Would be good to know if I’m on correct track or not?

You certainly are. 

On 9/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, RobH said:

Thanks Martin for asking the question and Rob for answering the question. I was going to just copy the old 1969 TR6 loom but having read your response I realise I can omit  the three wires described as the alternator is new. 

Always amazed by the generosity information I come across which I store upstairs for later use! I just need to remember when I get to it.

Andy