Volvo Servo Upgrade

Jochems,

Yes I have measured and when it was too close the brakes will lock up after a short drive. So adjusted correctly and works well when driving. When parked up and engine on I can push hard on the brake pedal and it nearly goes to the floor. Engine off as solid as a rock. I can hear air when pressing the brake pedal with engine running.

Should there be a seal between master cylinder and servo as someone has pointed out although the original does not.

The servo is stuck in Custom ( Holland) for the last seven days and I am resigned now not to see it again.

Regards Harry

Watching the Vid FatJon posted of the setting tool for measuring the gap between servo and master cylinder and wanted to get back in the garage I knocked this tool up which I copied from the Vid. My original set up was out using this tool and makes it so simple.Thanks for the heads up Jon. 

Regards Harry

20221219_153908_resized.jpg

20221219_153923_resized.jpg

20221219_154144_resized.jpg

Edited by harrytr5

I have now refitted my original servo (rebuilt some time ago and in service) along with my recent original rebuilt Master cylinder (past parts) and using my setting tool for the first time, my brakes have never felt so good and I can lock up all four wheels when brake testing. No more long brake pedal whats so ever.
The volvo servo is back in Holland for them to test and inform me of the findings. I suspect they will tell me there is nothing wrong with it but I know that is not the case and just have to put it down as waisted money. Shame as the Volvo servo is so bloody good.
Regards Harry

Well I have now got a replacement Servo from Scandcar with no mention of my faulty one.I was hoping they would have tested it to confirm. So no where nearer the truth. They are just stockist and will send my one back to the manufacturer.

Shame as i wanted the test report.

Going to Brooklands New Years Day run, may see some of you there?

Regards Harry

20210614_141722_resized.jpg

Edited by harrytr5
  • 3 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 1:16 PM, stuart said:

Its basically another brake servo fitted on the opposite side of the engine compartment and plumed into the clutch hydraulic line and "T" into the brake servo vacuum line as well.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 624 - Copy.JPG

Hi Stuart. Do you happen to know what vehicle the remote servo is from. I hope to fit one.

Many thanks

5 hours ago, Tony M said:

Hi Stuart. Do you happen to know what vehicle the remote servo is from. I hope to fit one.

Many thanks

It was just a standard aftermarket servo, easily available from any of the usual suspects.

Stuart 

• 5 months later...

I’m wondering if the Volvo booster could be used to improve the Stag brakes. Wouldn’t need the spacer but am concerned the overall increase in depth of the canister could be more than the existing clearance of about 50mm before hitting the front strut tower.

Be obliged if someone could let me know the depth from front to back of the canister.

I know some people have used a bigger diameter BMW booster but that involves moving the clutch pedal and metal bashing on manual cars. Going 1” smaller on the diameter rather than wider solves one problem but may bring a new one instead.

thanks in advance