Volvo Servo Upgrade

Hi, Guys many thanks for all the information on this servo upgrade, I have now done this but not connected the brake pipes yet (doing this today or tomorrow). A couple of things that may help others in the future.

1. use a 3mm gasket between m/c and servo.

2. if you put a 5mm spacer between the  top of bulkhead and the top of the servo (i used  a steel 5mm x 20mm x 112mm with two holes drilled in it) this allows the m/c to be level slightly lowering the top of the m/c making it easier to fit under the bonnet. 

3. you can use the existing alloy spacing block.  

Thanks again to all, hope my bit helps

Tony

I have a slightly longer brake pedal which might be the pinal screwed in a touch too much but the braking is hugely better and I love it! Forum rocks as usual and this mod is first class. Mot inspecter was impressed!

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Hi Harrytr5, i have now tried mine out on the road and what a difference this upgrade makes, best value upgrade so far.  It appears that with the spacer in place the pedal was in the correct place, but just in case what I had done prior to install is grind about a 1/3 off the lower nut on the adjusting arm (servo push rod) to give a little more adjustment if required.

Tony

56 minutes ago, tony.savill said:

Hi Harrytr5, i have now tried mine out on the road and what a difference this upgrade makes, best value upgrade so far.  It appears that with the spacer in place the pedal was in the correct place, but just in case what I had done prior to install is grind about a 1/3 off the lower nut on the adjusting arm (servo push rod) to give a little more adjustment if required.

Tony

You will quickly find out if the clearance is too small. Have the right size spanner for loosening the master cylinder and a couple of washers in the car so you don't get caught out when the brakes stick on. If it doesn’t happen after a few miles and a bit of braking your probably OK. I got less than 10 miles on the first test.

• 4 weeks later...

After around 100 miles or so my servo locked the brakes on and i had premade washers with one side cut out to make the pair like a horse shoe.Fitted these by the roadside and on my way to join others on our tour. What i could not make out why did it not come up sooner with less miles. I will invesigate as i prefered the brake pedal as it was and not a long push. I put the pintal back to where it was and had a shaped spacer to make what i thought was the correct gap and was getting a good firm pedal for 100 miles or so. I had previous history with the normal lucas set up so could deal with that if it happened with this one.Drove 350 miles with being spaced out and no troubles apart from the longer brake pedal which i do not like.

More investigation but a great mod.

Regards Harry 

• 1 month later...

Apart from the bolt spacing to suit the TR master cylinder, is there a particular reason that the 8" twin diaphragm Volvo booster is used rather than another make??

Edited by Malbaby
12 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Apart from the bolt spacing to suit the TR master cylinder, is there a particular reason that the 8" twin diaphragm Volvo booster is used rather than another make??

No particular reason. Just known to fit well, angles work, clears the bonnet, master cylinder bolts on to it without modification and it works. No doubt there are others but it get's a bit dear buying in loads to try them when this one is know to fit.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Where have members been purchasing these Volvo boosters from??

I see them on ebay, but have no idea of their quality.

Mine came from Ebay. A German supplier 

Polar Parts GmbH 

Ebay name Polar Parts

Hard to assess quality but it works, well

packed, not tatty manufacture or a china special. 

I got mine from Holland a company called Scancar bv

This is what I ordered. It’s a new part and so far has worked brilliantly!

Volvo Brake booster OEM ref 9157699 91576991 940 960 V90 Volvo part no 35309772_B

SKU: 35309772_B

1€90.74

Subtotal €90.74

Shipping & Handling €29.40

Grand Total€120.14

It’s definitely worth it!

That seems to be a very good price for a new, albeit OEM, part. Have I got the rigt part that fits as per above topic?

https://volvoonderdelen.com/rem-bekrachtiger-oem-ref-9157699-91576991-volvo-onderdeel-35309772_b.html

For my LHD TR6 I ordered one in Holland from a TR-enthusiast, he modified it such that the bolt-pitch of the 4 bolts are the same as on the standard (LHD only??) aluminium block/spacer.

Because the MC moves forward, new brake lines are needed, he supplied those too.

For those interested (with LHD Cars), PM me if you are interested. I have no personal interest, just a satisfied user. It is more expensive than the one above.

Waldi

On 6/18/2022 at 1:53 AM, Malbaby said:

Thanks guys....I have just ordered one from Scancar.

Is the price as quoted or do you have to pay VAT / Import duties?

I'm struggling to find the threaded version. Anyone got a link for it, please.

Plus, what's the difference? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=polar-parts&store_cat=0&store_name=polarparts&_oac=1&_nkw=9157699

Edited by Richard Pope
4 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

I'm struggling to find the threaded version. Anyone got a link for it, please.

Plus, what's the difference? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=polar-parts&store_cat=0&store_name=polarparts&_oac=1&_nkw=9157699

I checked the invoice and the Polar Parts part number 10002545 is the exact part number I ordered and it had threads. Maybe a generic picture on EBay.

Worth asking them first in case they have new stock and it’s different.

Well I've been in touch with Polar Parts and they have confirmed that this one is their part numbe 10002545

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293377288705?hash=item444ea62a01:g:ZA4AAOSwaERinrWl

They do not know why the other one comes up in my search, does not in theirs(!).

They also confirm that it does have an adjustable clevis and sent me a picture showing this.

I'm just checking the postage costs with them as their system shows free postage to UK.

Very helpful company.

image.png

image.png

• 3 months later...

I now have a problem with my Volvo servo and think it is u/s (pattern parts again) just like the ones that are now supplied for our Triumphs that are hit and miss.

Engine off solid brake pedal. Engine on and brake pedal will nearly go to the floor. It stops well but not right. So I an guessing the pattern part is failing. Anyone experienced

the same with this Volvo pattern part?

Regards Harry

So any thoughts on my problem guys. As I have altered the servo as you have done I own it good or bad. I do not want to order another pattern part to only have the same problem. I guess since yours work, mine must just be faulty. Do they come from China???

I want to persevere with this as the braking is fabulous and do not want to go back to standard

Regards Harry

21 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

So any thoughts on my problem guys. As I have altered the servo as you have done I own it good or bad. I do not want to order another pattern part to only have the same problem. I guess since yours work, mine must just be faulty. Do they come from China???

I want to persevere with this as the braking is fabulous and do not want to go back to standard

Regards Harry

I doubt it’s the servo. Nothing really can go wrong in a servo other than it failing to provide assistance. It’s a direct mechanical connection from pedal to master cylinder passing through a diaphragm for assistance. If you can push the pedal to the floor the master cylinder piston is moving with it.

Remember that the servo approximately multiples the force you apply by a factor of 3 so it will quickly expose any other weaknesses.