Volvo Servo Upgrade

I read a thread about using a twin diaphragm Volvo servo as an upgrade to make the brakes more wife friendly. The gentleman who installed it did so on a LHD car. Has anyone followed his lead on a RHD and can offer any advice on the nitty gritty of doing it. From what I can see the job looks easier on a RHD as there's no clutch master cylinder in the way so the servo lines up with the pedal easier. From what I can see from the pictures it's just a case of making up an adapter block as the 4 mounting bolts on Volvo servo are a smaller PCD than the OE servo. I don't mind being the first but if I'm not the first there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

1 hour ago, FatJon said:

I read a thread about using a twin diaphragm Volvo servo as an upgrade to make the brakes more wife friendly. The gentleman who installed it did so on a LHD car. Has anyone followed his lead on a RHD and can offer any advice on the nitty gritty of doing it. From what I can see the job looks easier on a RHD as there's no clutch master cylinder in the way so the servo lines up with the pedal easier. From what I can see from the pictures it's just a case of making up an adapter block as the 4 mounting bolts on Volvo servo are a smaller PCD than the OE servo. I don't mind being the first but if I'm not the first there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

It should be relatively easy to do you just need the right servo, I think its from a 940.

Stuart.

There are two options

(1) Modifying the volvo brake servo to fit TR

(2) Modifying the TR to fit Volvo Brake servo

In the first pictures I posted, I made an adapter block which would fit onto the volvo brake servo (2). For a RHD the dimensions need to be checked.

The installation I also have, the volvo brake servo was modified to fit onto the TR.

Bild1.jpg

Edited by JochemsTR

Thanks for the detailed info and pictures Jochem. I think I will make the adapter plate, maybe easier than taking the servo apart and welding on new studs.

I don't think the fork offset is needed on the RHD cars as the clutch servo is not obstructing the larger servo so I hope I can get the position just right. I will post back some pictures for everyone as I do this mod in the coming weeks.

50 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

I'll certainly be interested to see how you get on Jon.

Richard.

You still got problems with your brakes after all the "upgrades" Richard?

Stuart.

I have the Volvo servo, and was contacted by someone on the forum, I think last year. Because of the much bigger diameter it did not fit on a RHD car is what I understand.

Waldi

5 hours ago, stuart said:

You still got problems with your brakes after all the "upgrades" Richard?

Stuart.

The brakes are fine now, I changed the supplied Wilwood pads for Mintex 1144 pads, recently passed an MoT. But even after all my efforts I doubt the brakes are any better than standard. Having said that, it's been so long since I've been on standard brakes so I can't say for certain. I should let another TR6 driver have go in my car and get their opinion.

Richard.

On 9/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, FatJon said:

Jochem, what are dimensions of the adapter plate? I'm going to order a chunk of aluminium ready cut to save me some work.

let me know if you end up changing any dimensions so I can update my drawing if required.

Note: this drawing was removed due to proprietary reasons. Contact me if interested.

Edited by JochemsTR
Proprietary

Good morning Jochem,

you know I "only" own a TR4A (for shure the more pretty car :P),

and this is why I suffer from having no benefit from the informations you post here.

:lol:

Anyway I want the say "thank you very much" for doing this with so much details, 

this is VERY generous!

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
16 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Would still be interested if this Volvo mod makes a difference and does it?

one of the best upgrades you can do to your car....I have it in combination with a modern master, larger rear, vented discs and Ferodo pads.

Edited by JochemsTR
18 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

one of the best upgrades you can do to your car....I have it in combination with a modern master, larger rear, vented discs and Ferodo pads.

Thanks Jochems,

Is the servo from a 940 volvo unit and will it fit a right hand drive do you know. Drawings are excellent.

Regards Harry

19 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Thanks Jochems,

Is the servo from a 940 volvo unit and will it fit a right hand drive do you know. Drawings are excellent.

Regards Harry

Volvo 960-940-740-760 with 8" diameter and 2 membranes.

if mounted onto a RHD, you need to check my adapter. it probably needs mirroring.

Cut a piece of wood and make a template out of my drawing. Take a piece of cardboard and make a 8" volume. Believe it or not, this is how I did it.

Jochem

On 9/8/2021 at 8:28 AM, Richard71 said:

The brakes are fine now, I changed the supplied Wilwood pads for Mintex 1144 pads, recently passed an MoT. But even after all my efforts I doubt the brakes are any better than standard. Having said that, it's been so long since I've been on standard brakes so I can't say for certain. I should let another TR6 driver have go in my car and get their opinion.

Richard.

I went a slightly different route. 

Mintex 1144 pads on new drilled discs, Morgan rear wheel cylinders, braided hoses and DOT5 fluid.  The main change though was fitting a 12V Audi brake vacuum pump controlled by a small switch designed for automatic transmissions in older American cars which allows me to adjust the vacuum to the servo.  I'm currently running at 13 inches and the brakes are superb.  The only downside is I can hear the vacuum pump running at standstill and low speeds.

Gavin.

16311774374580.jpg

19 minutes ago, KiwiTR6 said:

I went a slightly different route. 

Mintex 1144 pads on new drilled discs, Morgan rear wheel cylinders, braided hoses and DOT5 fluid.  The main change though was fitting a 12V Audi brake vacuum pump controlled by a small switch designed for automatic transmissions in older American cars which allows me to adjust the vacuum to the servo.  I'm currently running at 13 inches and the brakes are superb.  The only downside is I can hear the vacuum pump running at standstill and low speeds.

Gavin.

16311774374580.jpg

I like your setup Gavin

could you let me have the part numbers as i might try something similar !

steve