Photos of our Scottish TRip for David Bee

8 hours ago, duncan said:

Good trip Sue, don't recognise the last photo of your first batch, the square whitish building, where is it ?

It’s the round church at the top of the high street in Bowmore, it’s got something to do with Flying boats in WW2. I will Google it and come back in a mo’.

Here you go 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowmore

Edited by SuzanneH
8 hours ago, duncan said:

Good trip Sue, don't recognise the last photo of your first batch, the square whitish building, where is it ?

Duncan, I think you meant this one. It is a building beside The Premier Inn in Whitehaven, I wasn’t inspired at all by Whitehaven but just found this house/building interesting. It was fairly large, had a large garage and had some kind of workshop as big as the house. It also had an interesting chimney.:o

EABF0D49-BF89-4774-8163-49422FE38070.jpeg

19 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

Duncan, I think you meant this one. It is a building beside The Premier Inn in Whitehaven, I wasn’t inspired at all by Whitehaven but just found this house/building interesting. It was fairly large, had a large garage and had some kind of workshop as big as the house. It also had an interesting chimney.:o

EABF0D49-BF89-4774-8163-49422FE38070.jpegFrom looking at old maps it looks like Moresby House Lodge with some extensions

Don’t be daft it’s got two short legs on one side, it’s a wee Haggis.

Here are a few photos that I forgot to post here along the way.

The mini Kelpies are at a steamer port along Lochgilphead-Ardrishaig.

Roger and I on a Zephyr rig on Jura.

An interesting Church Tower near one of the Tarberts, which I believe is similar to the Crown that used to top the tower of the church in Linlithgow.

A view of the rolling mist/clouds on our way home.

8371326B-FB30-4510-A185-6FD79F660F24.jpeg

67A2ABD4-7008-422F-BC91-FE143B7AF815.jpeg

E5914813-BB78-46EA-B4E4-E089F05CA3E2.jpeg

350BCC10-C26A-46EF-9DB2-A96B328BAE62.jpeg

51F4651B-C7FD-4069-A9D6-7EC8EB6B117E.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH
On 9/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, SuzanneH said:

It is a building beside The Premier Inn in Whitehaven, I wasn’t inspired at all by Whitehaven but just found this house/building interesting.

Hello Sue/Roger,

I was intrigued by your photo because I thought it had the look of a private gasworks. Many old country houses had such things.

Part of the Premier Inn is "Moresby House" , an old country mansion.

The building you photographed was in fact the gate house. (Refered to as "Moresby House Lodge" on  old maps.)

Seeking out old private gasworks is a hobby of mine. (No, I don't know why either.)

Alas, this one was not to be.

Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, duncan said:

Many thanks Sue

Tarbert (Loch Fyne) where the ferry to Portavadie leaves.  Pass it regularly visiting my brother, the locals let him know I am coming (jungle drums are always faster than a car) - they know the TR !!

Ha ha, we have also often experienced the jungle drums on the Scottish Isles Tours. People know when we are arriving and where we are staying etc even waiting for us to turn up for ferry’s, it’s a small small world up there.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, Charlie D said:

Hello Sue/Roger,

I was intrigued by your photo because I thought it had the look of a private gasworks. Many old country houses had such things.

Part of the Premier Inn is "Moresby House" , an old country mansion.

The building you photographed was in fact the gate house. (Refered to as "Moresby House Lodge" on  old maps.)

Seeking out old private gasworks is a hobby of mine. (No, I don't know why either.)

Alas, this one was not to be.

Charlie.

Charlie, I didn’t even know that big houses had private gas supplies.

I have tried to find old photos of Moresby House but was unsuccessful, I did find photos of Moresby Hall but that is still in existence as a Bed and Breakfast Hotel.

I attach photos of Moresby Hall and another of MoresbyHouse Gate House which shows it is even bigger than I though.155C9023-3CFF-46C0-8E5E-78469DC790FD.thumb.jpeg.ec79d2694778fbba28c9c355c0621b78.jpeg

D0F61E4E-B1D5-4F2F-9124-B40CB6D33A4B.jpeg

E58F6C7F-4E32-48AA-8A20-A9808AE6A438.jpeg

0BAF45D1-BBF5-44D6-9E1A-054144A18A9E.jpeg

On 9/5/2021 at 6:02 PM, harlequin said:

Scotland is very hard to beat for a road trip and Oban is a must visit place

George 

+1

On 9/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, RogerH said:

Hi DavidBee,

this is one I took a couple of years back and I still love it.

The location is Lock Eck near Dunoon.

Early evening and not a breath of wind.

The palm trees are real.

Where does the scenery end and the water begin

Roger

IMGP0446a.JPG

Yes, very strange landscape! And overpowering. The white lines which are often a nuisance but in this one they surely add to the photo.

Ciao,

David