New to TR Oil Change

HI, I am new to vintage British car. I recently acquired a good driver, 62' TR3 B and am working through general maintenance and would like to know recommendations for Oil Change product(s), oil weight, and filter options. This TR retains the original canister type filter.

Any other first time walk through suggestions I would appreciate. 

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Can we have a name to use, much less formal.

These cars run well on a good quality 20/50 motor oil, I personally use Millers Goldenfilm as do many others on here, but any good quality branded product should be fine. I cannot reccomend supermarket type budget oils unless it`s all you can get in an emergency. As for the filter, nothing wrong with the standard set up, but you can get conversions to spin on filters that take easy to get modern types.

As for change intervals, with modern oils probably every 6,000 miles (10,000 KM), but I prefer to change every 12 months irrespective of mileage, especially after the winter lay up, as condensation can collect in the engine in cold weather.

As for other first time suggestions, buy a manual and become familiar with it, the Haynes one is still available quite widely, or you may be lucky and find an original Triumph one.

Happy motoring, Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

There are many many old threads on this subject that you may wish to review...... Any decent-quality mineral 20/50 with a good level of Zinc (as ZDDP) will do the trick.

I use Classic Oils Heritage 20/50 which clearly states the level of Zinc on the label and is fairly-priced..... there are plenty of options out there.

i don’t use the canister filter, so I’ll let others comment on that one.

....... Andy 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:45 PM, daktari59 said:

HI, I am new to vintage British car. I recently acquired a good driver, 62' TR3 B and am working through general maintenance and would like to know recommendations for Oil Change product(s), oil weight, and filter options. This TR retains the original canister type filter.

Any other first time walk through suggestions I would appreciate. 

Good Morning,

welcome to our forum, and congratulations on buying a great, fun car.

As others have said, any good 25;50 Motor oil, will suffice, re the canister oil filter,

Straitforward, with two tips, I remove the engine breather pipe, (One sump bolt, and twist out from the block) helps access.

Make sure you remove the old rubber 'O' ring or seal in the filter head, I always change this, and I use the narrower of the two that usually come with the new filter.

Keep asking questions, very happy to help, a name and where abouts you are in the world, is always helpful.

John.

Often overlooked is the steering box, this is filled through a small hole with a rubber plug in the steering column,  it's about 12" from the bottom. Use steering box oil, this is a very heavy oil and requires warming and patience to fill the box.

George