Speedo reflection on inside of Screen

Hi Does anyone else get a reflection from the Speedometer light on the inside of their screen?

and how is it cured?

I would appreciate your thoughts

Michael

IMG_6547.jpg

Edited by MichaelH
adjust

Golly - your speedo light is extraordinarily bright!

My instrument lights are dim (even with rheostat set to maximum) - probably owing to years of accumulated dust, but avoids problem of too much light in the cabin!

Ian Cornish

How strange as there is no direct path for the light from the front of the dials to hit the screen.

As the vent is in place, presumably the pipe is attached too so?

Or the light is reflecting off something in the car such as the steering wheel? Does putting your hand over the speedo get rid of the light on the screen? if it does then it is being reflected back. (If it doesn't the light is coming from the back of the speedo.) if it does move your hand back and try and keep the reflection obscured until you identify the source of the reflection.

The light comes from the tachometer where the back lighting is at the bottom of said tacho

I enclose a photo of the RC from above the screen through the screen (ignore the reflection of my Esso sign)

I am surprised nobody else has the problem?

Michael

IMG_6548.jpg

Edited by MichaelH
1 minute ago, MichaelH said:

The light comes from the speedometer where the back lighting is at the bottom of said speedo

I enclose a photo of the speedo from above the screen through the screen (ignore the reflection of my Esso sign

I am surprised nobody else has the problem?

Michael

IMG_6548.jpg

Thats the casing of your speedo, looks like the face isnt held up against the glass, see the difference between it and the rev counter.

Stuart.

No standard bulbs, Rheostat turned up to max

Looking at the photo sounds like Stuart has nailed the problem

Not tackled Rev counters before are they relatively simple or is a case of send it to Speedogragh Richfield?

Michael

Hi Guys

Solved the problem:

Took the Rev counter out and found that the hole for the illumination bulb was a the bottom of the back of the instrument

If you twist the silver retainer on the front it comes away with the glass and a layer of cover, revealing the working part of the counter which is located by two screws through the back of the counter outer cover. Take the screws out and the workings can be rotated 180 degrees - moving the hole for the light to the top of the instrument.

Then put it all back - always more fiddly than removal- and don't forget that for the light to work the counter has to be earthed

As usual thanks for your input

Now I can drive a night without the reflection _I should have done this years ago!

Cheers all

MichaelH

Edited by MichaelH

This is intriguing. For many years I had reflections from the chromed instrument bezels in the screen at night. I used to dim the lights to the lowest setting on the rheostat. As far as I know the tacho illumination bulb was originally at the top of the instrument and that is where mine is and it still gave the reflection. Eventually I cut a suitable piece of black PVC leathercloth and I secure it to the RH windscreen vent on Velcro as per attached for night driving - problem solved. I keep the PVC handy in the driver's door pocket.

Tim

Hook tape on fascia vent.JPG

Loop tape on PVC sheet.JPG

Does this suggest that the bulb for the  Tachometer illumination is not completely pushed into the back of the tachometer. This would be the only way light could rise up through the vent.Alternatively is there an extra bulb floating about. And isn't the vent completely obscured by the dimister duct? A

or have I missed something (usual explanation)

Michael

The light is not coming through the vent, the reflection from the chromed instrument bezels creatres virtual images in the screen at night. I attach the PVC shield to the rear edge of the demister vent so the air flow is unaffected, not that these demisters are particularly effective compared to those on a modern! Works for me.

Tim

12 hours ago, tim hunt said:

not that these demisters are particularly effective compared to those on a modern! Works for me.

Tim

Hi Tim,

remove the Smiths heater fan motor and fit a 5.5" diameter Spal fan  (T7Design)  it will blow your socks off.   https://www.t7design.co.uk/spal-radiator-fan-5-5-140mm-pull-va39-a101-45a-289cfm-va39-a101-45a.html

Five minute job (aproximately)

Roger

How approximate is the 5 minutes Roger? I changed the heater many years ago when the matrix failed and as I recall it was an involved job with difficult access, on a par with changing wiper wheel boxes. Or, unlike the matrix, can the motor be changed without actually removing the heater. Does the Spal unit slot in as a direct replaccement or is fettling needed?

Tim

Hi Tim,

it is approximately 5 minutes Plus/Minus approx 5 hours.

The 5.5" Spal slots straight in - you need to fabricate four feet (use rubber to isolate the motor noise.

Easy enough to make it two (or more ) speed.

There is a big thread in the TR4 forum from Approx May 2020.

Roger

Edited by RogerH