LED headlamp bulbs for older bulb fittings now available

Thanks for the links, Bob.  I'm not normally a fan of LED upgrades into lens/reflector systems not designed for them -- for all the well-known reasons -- but for my TR3B I might make an exception based on power draws.

I have a set of semi-vintage Cibié selective-yellow 7" housings, which I believe take a bulb with a P45t base.  In the land of no MOT, almost anything flies, so I'm sure on a rarely-driven vintage car yellow lights wouldn't lead to a second look.

Have you seen any 3-spade lug LEDs with P45t?

i-h8CXqqZ-X5.jpg

i-9fTCc8g-X5.jpg

i-t9CFBfK-X5.jpg

Hi Don. I believe you can use H4 bulbs with an adaptor.  Try these:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-p45t

I believe these are the same core unit as I have fitted, & they are excellent

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Yes, those might work, Bob.  I like that they're 3000K and not 6000K color temperature.  

What did you do for sealing the bulb to the reflector?  With the large heat sinks on so many LED conversions it seems like the rubber boot commonly used to prevent dust and water from getting inside the headlamp can't be used.  Is that right?

They can be used with a fiddle, but I did not bother, I don't get any water / dust in there anyway.  Be warned the bulbs come with a separate electronics box, which just about fits inside the headlamp bowl, but it is very tight. I mounted mine on the outside of the bowl by drilling a couple of small holes, & securing it with cable ties.

Don't suppose you can make Goodwood this year :(

Bob

They won't be suitable Mick. If you look at the bulbs they are 'projector' style with all the light coming out of the front in a controlled beam.  Tripod lights have the centre disc which would cover that up - they need lamps where the light comes out sideways to be formed into a beam by the reflector.  

On 9/5/2021 at 8:38 PM, RobH said:

If you look at the bulbs they are 'projector' style with all the light coming out of the front in a controlled beam.

The H4 replacements I got from classiccarleds have no forward-facing beam. All goes via the reflector. Maybe the H4 adapter Bob mentioned could be an option?

John

Edited by JohnC
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Lebro said:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/sidelight-bulbs/products/bay15d-1157-white-and-amber-tail-sidelight-and-indicator-combined-led-380

These are dual polarity  (work with-ve or +ve earth)   & are what I use, & recommend.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, always a real gent.

Ciao,

David