This 2 looks like a very nice one, and the price seems low for a vehicle restored only three years ago; what do ye think?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1361478

Edited by DavidBee
  • DavidBee changed the title to TR 2 for Sale

Not a car for the purist that's for sure.Awful lot of wrongness' for a 1954 TR2 especially if so recently 'restored'.Why bother fitting a later TR3 rear apron and fit MG TD rear lights?Why forget to rechrome the gear and handbrake levers?Why isn't the central instrument panel trimmed?Wrong (high port)cylinder head, carbs(H6) and manifold.Door hinges left unpainted. Stainless wing beading plus the MX5 seats.Wiper motor fitted to the wrong side of the bulkhead even though the captive nuts are still there on the right hand side.Front brakes replaced with discs.

Good points. Does have the correct cable operated bonnet locks, the 4 vent bonnet panel and long doors.

Having said all that, probably represents good value after a really close inspection, but I would always think that I may as well look at lots of TR3/3As, as most of the wrongness's above are standard on the later cars anyway.

Roger M-E

40 minutes ago, roger murray-evans said:

Not a car for the purist that's for sure.Awful lot of wrongness' for a 1954 TR2 especially if so recently 'restored'.Why bother fitting a later TR3 rear apron and fit MG TD rear lights?Why forget to rechrome the gear and handbrake levers?Why isn't the central instrument panel trimmed?Wrong (high port)cylinder head, carbs(H6) and manifold.Door hinges left unpainted. Stainless wing beading plus the MX5 seats.Wiper motor fitted to the wrong side of the bulkhead even though the captive nuts are still there on the right hand side.Front brakes replaced with discs.

Good points. Does have the correct cable operated bonnet locks, the 4 vent bonnet panel and long doors.

Having said all that, probably represents good value after a really close inspection, but I would always think that I may as well look at lots of TR3/3As, as most of the wrongness's above are standard on the later cars anyway.

Roger M-E

Yes it does have all those things different but as it was formerly a Modsports race car the guy that restored it did a good job with what he had, it was mine but as I never got time to restore it I sold it to him. It was his choice to do all the things you noted as he did intend to use it originally but in the end preferred his 6. it was too cheap but again his choice to price it at that, he had previously had it in a local agricultural auction with a £20k reserve on it also against my advice.

I think its ended up with a dealer up north now so probably on their front for £35k

When I got it it had all outer panels in fibre including sills and short doors and a 3a front oh and that apron is its original, the holes for the indicators had already been cut back in the day. It had a TR4 engine and back axle and discs.

This is what it looked like when I got it.

Stuart.

TR2 001 (2).jpg

tr2 1954.1.jpg

Edited by stuart
On 9/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, roger murray-evans said:

Stuart, you're not the only one to not find the time for an old modsports project.The was mine in 1975 and still looks exactly the same! 

Roger M-E

Brands 1975-6 Tony, Self and Kenny 001.jpg

Roger,

Amazing! Looks like part of the engine is sticking out if the bonnet. What's going on there? I am very curious.

David

6 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Roger,

Amazing! Looks like part of the engine is sticking out if the bonnet. What's going on there? I am very curious.

David

Look closer David.

It is a supercharger poking out of the bonnet, and that is why the car is LHD.

To give more under-bonnet space and enable Roger to see where he is going when he tickles the throttle.

Peter W

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Look closer David.

It is a supercharger poking out of the bonnet, and that is why the car is LHD.

To give more under-bonnet space and enable Roger to see where he is going when he tickles the throttle.

Peter W

David, Pete sums it up quite well.One of my less well accomplished projects, hampered by youth, ignorance and lack of money. All good fun at the time!

Cheers

Roger M-E

3 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

David, Pete sums it up quite well.One of my less well accomplished projects, hampered by youth, ignorance and lack of money. All good fun at the time!

Cheers

Roger M-E

Roger, I would love to hear more. I mean the facts.

That's 46 years ago! Good grief.

Of course, I understand the regret that comes with maturity. But how about a few more details, just for the record?

Best

David