Hi my handsome friends

An old chestnut i no, my apoligies,  I am running webers, wild cam ligtened fly wheel, (fast road engine)

Car runs well over 2, 000 rpm, in traffic below 2000rpm  the plugs start to foul up,  resulting in banging missing etc,   they clear when I get going, 

Dificult on the iow short journeys, I use the gear box to keep the revs up to prevent fouling, is there a plug that would help with this 

I am running ngk 7 presently thank you 

Pink 

Hi Pink

you might go a grade hotter with ngk, which would be a 6,

or perhaps try the tripple electrode plugs from Bosch etc which seem to work well and last a long time in the 6ncyl motor at least.

steve

28 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Hi Pink

you might go a grade hotter with ngk, which would be a 6,

or perhaps try the tripple electrode plugs from Bosch etc which seem to work well and last a long time in the 6ncyl motor at least.

steve

I use triple electrode plugs n my 6 and would recommend them to anyone

You might also want to check your mixture at idle. Could be running too rich. Easy to change with some tweaks to the idle mixture on the weber.

Tim

5 hours ago, pinky said:

Hi my handsome friends

An old chestnut i no, my apoligies,  I am running webers, wild cam ligtened fly wheel, (fast road engine)

Car runs well over 2, 000 rpm, in traffic below 2000rpm  the plugs start to foul up,  resulting in banging missing etc,   they clear when I get going, 

Dificult on the iow short journeys, I use the gear box to keep the revs up to prevent fouling, is there a plug that would help with this 

I am running ngk 7 presently thank you 

Pink 

How come your using the 7's, which are a heat range too cool for a standard TR6? Unless there's a specific reason with your set up, I'd definitely go to 6, which should bring the plugs self cleaning range more in line with the fueling. 

Gareth

I know this is not answering the question specifically, but sounds like your mixture is too rich ? My Lucas PI TR6 used to do this if in traffic with a Newman hybrid cam, as mixture was made richer for fuelling requirements of the cam. Would clear once on the move.

I would have thought NGK6BPES would be sufficient.  I am now on EFI, and run NGK BKR 7EIX, which is a hotter plug, but then again, I have a stronger spark, as long no longer has a dizzy, etc.

4 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

I would have thought NGK6BPES would be sufficient................and run NGK BKR 7EIX, which is a hotter plug

No - NGK numbers run the other way. 7 is cooler than 6. 

https://www.ngk.com/heat-range-conversion-chart-2

4 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

How come your using the 7's, which are a heat range too cool for a standard TR6? Unless there's a specific reason with your set up, I'd definitely go to 6, which should bring the plugs self cleaning range more in line with the fueling. 

Gareth

He says its not a standard engine - I needed to use cooler plugs on my modded engine due to the higher compression ratio.

Yes, your right drd (sorry don't no your name,)

There is nothing wrong with the set up car goes like hell I was warned when the car went on the rolling Road to keep the refs above 2000

However easer said than done, all I am trying to do is improve the time that the plugs clear 

Cheers pink 

21 minutes ago, pinky said:

Yes, your right drd (sorry don't no your name,)

There is nothing wrong with the set up car goes like hell I was warned when the car went on the rolling Road to keep the refs above 2000

However easer said than done, all I am trying to do is improve the time that the plugs clear 

Cheers pink 

Hi Pink, might go like hell, but could still be over fueling at high vac (eg idle). Did loads of fettling of my twin weber DCOEs on my elan. Common practice to run real rich at idle to cover the lean patch that can exist when you transition onto main jets. Works great when you are blatting around but fouled plugs were a common side effect. 

Cheers 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...