If it has never worked properly the column might have been assembled with the clip out of alignment. The clip only fits in one position on the upper column, it’s located by a dimple in the column.  With wheels straight ahead the cancelling clip “nib” should be midway between the two sprung parts of the switch. You should be able to see it with a torch. If it isn’t correct you need to split the column at one of the splined connectors under the bonnet, align the upper column to place the nib between the sprung bits then reconnect the splined connector. Then you’ll have to remove and replace the steering wheel in the right position. 

if the above doesn’t apply and the nib is correctly positioned then the sprung bits of the switch aren’t working and a new switch is in order. 

It may be that the fore/aft position of the clip is not quite aligned with the centre of the switch and this, combined with a switch some 60 years old and somewhat wobbly (technical term!) may mean that the "nib" (hump) on the clip fails to release the switch when the wheel is returned to the straight ahead position.

In my car, self cancelling seems to work in one direction only and I have become used to it.

The fore/aft alignment can be corrected as described by peejay4A, but no need to disconnect the column for this, just loosen and push/pull the steering wheel.

Ian Cornish

On my TR4A the left indicator wouldn’t cancel but the right would. I found that with the steering wheel (and wheels) centered, the indicator cam on the steering column was at roughly 2 and 8 o’clock, but it was spot welded in place on the column. I had to disconnect the steering column down by the steering rack (as those splines have complete 360 adjustments), rotate the column so the indicator cam was at 3 and 6, then detach and recenter the steering wheel. A bit of a pain to do, but problem solved.

Jim

On my TR4, the cam on the column is in the form of a clip round the column.

There's an indent in the column and a matching inward-facing bump inside the clip, these being designed to hold the clip in position.

The Workshop Manual appears to show the arrangement described by Jim (i.e. cam fixed to column), so perhaps my car, which was built in January 1962, has an earlier arrangement.

Ian Cornish

Bob, oops yeah 3 & 9 (damn digital clocks:rolleyes:)

Ian, the spot welds holding the cam did not look factory to me, so a PO may have tacked the cam to keep it from shifting, or just repaired a factory config.

jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

One of my TR friends had no self cancelling. When I investigated I discovered the clip with the blip on was pointing to the opposite side of the column to the indicator switch. Probably a previous owner part converting from left to right hand drive and forgetting to change the clip to the other side. It was possible with a couple of screwdrivers to rotate the clip to the other side without major disassembly but disconnect the battery first! Fortunately it lined up to be midway between the two activating arms of the switch. It is also possible to move the switch a fraction closer to the column by adjusting the fixing screws but you might need to file the holes the screws go through to be slightly oval to do this.

I'm afraid I can't live with indicators that don't cancel properly and hate having the steering wheel not in the straight ahead position.

Keith

Fitting a bleeper in parallel with the fascia lamp will remind one that the trafficators are winking - especially helpful in bright sunlight and with top down (when the click from the unit beneath the dashboard is inaudible).

Ian Cornish

I had this same problem which is rectified by the assistance of group members. I followed the information given as PEEJAY 4a correctly states where the column should be. The only modification I had to make having centralised the nib on the column was to elongate the column shroud switch screw holes with a small file which allowed the switch to be positioned closer in towards the column. I tried the bleeper method prior which is and was for me a great idea, however I am back to original now with self cancelling in line with above. The LED bulb in the telltale is excellent.

vic.