CR scuttle vent

Evening,

I am looking to replace the silver-painted plastic scuttle vent on my CR with a metal one, which I shall have chromed.  

Does anyone know of a source for a metal vent, please?  All I can find are plastic ones.  

Thank you. 

D75374C2-FA89-47E6-A70F-6DB72B71FB85.jpeg

1 minute ago, rcreweread said:

Thanks, Rich.  I had be happy with a painted closed one, but they are for the CP model.  On the later CR model, which I have, BL changed it to an open plastic feature. 

Thanks for the thought. I appreciate it.  

1 hour ago, GeoffreyS said:

Thanks, Rich.  I had be happy with a painted closed one, but they are for the CP model.  On the later CR model, which I have, BL changed it to an open plastic feature. 

Thanks for the thought. I appreciate it.  

Geoffrey - sorry, I completely misunderstood- I thought you wanted to change the grill for the earlier opening flap type one and chrome that!!! Doh

seriously though, I think some people have changed the grill for a flap  to stop water entering the plenum chamber so I believe it is doable

cheers Rich 

9 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Geoffrey - sorry, I completely misunderstood- I thought you wanted to change the grill for the earlier opening flap type one and chrome that!!! Doh

seriously though, I think some people have changed the grill for a flap  to stop water entering the plenum chamber so I believe it is doable

cheers Rich 

Thanks, Rich. 

I have back converted a CR with a grille to the CP version with a flap, the difficult bit is getting the actuating lever and quadrant that fits behind the dash, there also seems to be a bit of a shortage of vent flaps at the moment.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

I have back converted a CR with a grille to the CP version with a flap, the difficult bit is getting the actuating lever and quadrant that fits behind the dash, there also seems to be a bit of a shortage of vent flaps at the moment.

Stuart.

Thanks, Stuart.  That’s a bit more advanced than my pay grade!  I’ll keep looking for a metal vent.  

Triumph did look at a slotted metal vent when they were developing the 1972 model CC and CR series, it was just painted mind you. The attached image shows it fitted to CP25001-O along with other mods to the manifolds and clutch master cylinder etc

Derek   

88624 - CP25001 resize.jpg

Edited by saffrontr
19 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Triumph did look at a slotted metal vent when they were developing the 1972 model CC and CR series, it was just painted mind you. The attached image shows it fitted to CP25001-O along with other mods to the manifolds and clutch master cylinder etc

Derek   

Thank you, Derek.  That looks good. 

56 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Derek   

Whats the extra vacuum pipe for Derek?

Stuart.

No ideas Stuart, the image from the other side of the engine bay is attached and it shows the pipe going into the footwell so maybe to a gauge? This series of images didn't show any of the interior so I guess we'll never know. 

Derek

88625 engine bay CP25001.jpg

34 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

No ideas Stuart, the image from the other side of the engine bay is attached and it shows the pipe going into the footwell so maybe to a gauge? This series of images didn't show any of the interior so I guess we'll never know. 

Derek

88625 engine bay CP25001.jpg

As its a factory test car your more than likely right so probably checking vacuum .

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
1 minute ago, CP26309 said:

Derek...I always thought CP25001 was the very first CP commission number? Interesting the two return springs to the plenum. 

Test car

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

CP25001 was indeed the first commission number, Triumph built it along with CC25001 and CC25002 off line in July 1968. A real workhorse indeed for lots of development  not being sold by them until April 1975. 

Best of luck with the chrome vent flap Geoffrey I'm sure that with some of the pointers above you will develop a solution. Keep us informed of progress.

Derek

8 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

CP25001 was indeed the first commission number, Triumph built it along with CC25001 and CC25002 off line in July 1968. A real workhorse indeed for lots of development  not being sold by them until April 1975. 

Best of luck with the chrome vent flap Geoffrey I'm sure that with some of the pointers above you will develop a solution. Keep us informed of progress.

Derek

That’s kind of you, Derek.  Thank you. 

Hi Geoff,

I didn;t like the way that the TR4/4A vent lid would go rusty so I made a stainless steel one.

The hinge is also stainless. This was then bonded (glued) to the lid with some very expensive aero Araldite.

If you could machine the slots I could make the lid and then you could fix it to the hole in your car.

It would only be flat rather than shaped like the plastic one.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Geoff,

I didn;t like the way that the TR4/4A vent lid would go rusty so I made a stainless steel one.

The hinge is also stainless. This was then bonded (glued) to the lid with some very expensive aero Araldite.

If you could machine the slots I could make the lid and then you could fix it to the hole in your car.

It would only be flat rather than shaped like the plastic one.

Roger

Hello Roger,

Thank you.  That’s kind of you. Sadly, I don’t have a machining capability.  I’ll have to keep looking.  Thanks, again.