How to replace outer half shaft rubber boot

Hi all, my outer half shaft rubber dust boots have perished. Am I right in thinking that if I undo and remove the 4 nylock nuts/bolts on the inner differential universal joint, that there is enough clearance to angle it sufficiently to remove the splined end to fit a new boot?

Can`t find any information on if this is possible. Cheers and thanks, Colin.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Hi all, my outer half shaft rubber dust boots have perished. Am I right in thinking that if I undo and remove the 4 nylock nuts/bolts on the inner differential universal joint, that there is enough clearance to angle it sufficiently to remove the splined end to fit a new boot?

Can`t find any information on if this is possible. Cheers and thanks, Colin.

Yep 

4 hours ago, Z320 said:

Allow me another thought: why not without?

My propshaft is without and on my stronger driveshafts are also without (they don't fit).

Well greased that works.... 

Grease + dust and gravel make a nice grinding paste :D

There are no boots on the propshaft. The boots that are needed on original shafts certainly, as Rwest above states, all kinds of muck and grinding **** would enter the splines eventually and do their nasty work. 

Alan G

Come on regulators I use the word carp with the a and the r transversed and you delete this word and replace it with "stars" ??? What kind of namby-pamby country are we living in? Come on get a ****** grip , there I have done your work for you, huh!

BTW in order not to upset the do-gooders out there the stars stand for "strong"........................................................

I think there is some confusion-the bell shaped rubber cover that supposedly protects the inner axle u joint and the bellows that covers the splined axle joint. I have never understood the need to cover the inner u joint as all of the other u joints must face life uncovered. I removed those covers long ago without any dire consequences.

Berry

Thanks for all the reply's. 

I have removed the old perished rubber gaiter's over the splined joints, and taken out the half shaft`s and cleaned out all the old dry grease. Applied some new grease to the bottom of the "female blind end" and filled the male splines with grease, and reattached the two halves together.

My question next is: ........................."should the rubber boot covering the splines be filled with additional grease or just left with the grease that oozed out after pushing together? "

Thanks Colin.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:11 PM, Z320 said:

What boot do you use at the propshaft, please?

My car has a screwed cap and cork seal on the sliding section.   Exactly the same as those fitted on early TR4A drive shafts…..

Peter W

CBCE0694-2293-42BC-9052-57C2ACCE41A0.png

10 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My car has a screwed cap and cork seal on the sliding section.   Exactly the same as those fitted on early TR4A drive shafts…..

Peter W

CBCE0694-2293-42BC-9052-57C2ACCE41A0.png

Thanks Peter, but I don`t seem to remember a thread on the half shaft where where the screwed cap would fit.

So back to my rubber boot, should it be filled, half filled, or just left empty before attaching the two tie-wraps?

cheers, Colin.

Does the fixed section of the shaft have a grease nipple?   If so lubricate sparingly.

I would not add grease inside the gaiter.  Only grease the splined sections when being assembled.  The gaiter is there primarily to stop dirt getting in.  Excess grease will be retained rather than flung all over the underside of the car.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:32 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Does the fixed section of the shaft have a grease nipple?   If so lubricate sparingly.

I would not add grease inside the gaiter.  Only grease the splined sections when being assembled.  The gaiter is there primarily to stop dirt getting in.  Excess grease will be retained rather than flung all over the underside of the car.

Thanks and no grease nipple on the shaft nor the UJ`s. Will not add further grease to the gaiters.

Colin.