Is there anywhere a list of gearbox noises? i.e. a whiring only in top gear with O/D could mean ..... Loud noise when under load could mean ..... another noise only in certain gears could mean the layshaft bearings etc. Put the foor in the clutch and the noise has gone etc. The logic being, if the cog or whatever is not being used or rotating it can't be the cause of the noise or vica versa.

I am not an G/B expert. I hear noises and I then have a worrying drive, thinking the worst. The then next drive and I don't notice it. The drive thereafter Oh God the G/B is falling apart. All very nerv racking.

Ok another one. I believe a whine when stationary an going from neutral to 1st gear is the thrust beaing going dry.

Xiberras This is the type of problem that made me ask is there a list. If not, then we should make one. There is a tremendous amount of knowlegde in the club. In fact this question could be extended to other clubs who have simular drive trains.

Can I correct my statement a bit. When activating the pedal and no load then it is normally it is the clutch bearing.

• 1 month later...

Bonjour, 

Voici la vidéo où l'on peut entendre le bruit de transmission qui se manifeste surtout en 4ème avec et sans OVD sur ma TR6 Pi de 1969. 

Le pont a été refait entièrement ainsi que la boîte et l'ovd (sauf les roulements des planétaires). 

Si quelqu'un a le même phénomène n'hésitez pas... 

Bonne journée 

Julien 

42 minutes ago, Xiberras said:

Bonjour, 

Voici la vidéo où l'on peut entendre le bruit de transmission qui se manifeste surtout en 4ème avec et sans OVD sur ma TR6 Pi de 1969. 

Le pont a été refait entièrement ainsi que la boîte et l'ovd (sauf les roulements des planétaires). 

Bonne journée 

Julien 

Hi Folks,

here is a translation of Julien's post

Hello, Here is the video where we can hear the transmission noise which manifests itself especially in 4th gear with and without OVD on my 1969 TR6 Pi. The bridge has been completely redone as well as the gearbox and the ovd (except the bearings planets). If someone has the same phenomenon do not hesitate ... Good day Julien

Roger

That's a new one for me. The coming and going seems to be connected with no load or light load on the transmission. I could not tell if it was in O/D or not.

5 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

That’s is my first thought as well

....... Andy 

me too.

On 9.10.2021 at 10:06, Xiberras said:

Bonjour, 

Voici la vidéo où l'on peut entender le bruit de Transmission qui se manifeste surtout en 4ème avec et sans OVD sur ma TR6 Pi de 1969. 

Bonne journée 

Julien 

Hello Julien,

the noise is clearly a dying differential.
I would fix it soon.
Teeth break out of the ring gear.
That makes a big bang.
Not funny.
Many greetings
Ralf

Can I add my drive train noise here:

A kind of droning sound that starts to be heard above 20/25mph, that is quieter/louder/quieter/louder and so on. Can be heard in or out of gear above the 20/25mph.

Thanks

Gareth

I've topped up the diff a few times over the years, noise seems to be present regardless. 

Wondered if a wheel bearing would make that kind of sound (very hard to describe a sound).

Gareth

On 8/30/2021 at 7:20 PM, Peter Douglas Winn said:

Is there anywhere a list of gearbox noises? i.e. a whiring only in top gear with O/D could mean ..... Loud noise when under load could mean ..... another noise only in certain gears could mean the layshaft bearings etc. Put the foor in the clutch and the noise has gone etc. The logic being, if the cog or whatever is not being used or rotating it can't be the cause of the noise or vica versa.

I am not an G/B expert. I hear noises and I then have a worrying drive, thinking the worst. The then next drive and I don't notice it. The drive thereafter Oh God the G/B is falling apart. All very nerv racking.

Hi, a beginning of list may be done here with this related thread 

I think we are going at it, the wrong way round. I think the different parts should be listed i.e. Mainshaft Bearing + the noise it can make and when.

e.g In all gears and O/D a high frequence screaching or Low frequence Rumbling or or whatever.

Perhaps we could build up a data bank on TR noises.