Ethanol friendly O-rings from where?

Hello All,

I’ve got the classic petrol leak from the bottom of my Stromberg 175s. A simple enough fix, from what I’ve read, just replace the O ring.

Can anyone suggest where I can get ethanol friendly O-rings from?

Ebay has several people selling the rings specifically for the purpose, but I guess some of them could be stock from pre-ethanol days. No one seems to mention ethanol in the blurb, which makes me suspicious.

Any help gratefully received.

Charlie.

Ed, Jeff, Colin,

Thanks for the really fast replies.

As always, the forum members come up with the answers.

Not long ago Waldi (Our  friend from the Low Lands) mentioned "Viton B" specifically.

Arrrggg... How can we ever keep up with all these changes.

A while back "Louis Viton" was just a bloke who made handbags, that were copied by scammers and sold by street traders in the back allyways of Paris.

So now he has moved into the O-Ring business........

Again,

Thanks for the help

Charlie.

Many places don't differentiate between the sub types of Viton.  Any of them should work fine, but if you have a choice, choose B over A, and F over B.  Viton F was developed specifically for modern oxygenated fuels.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I'd avoid Viton-A now and specifically ask for Viton-F.  My industry experience was that the issue with seals (lip seals in particular) was that they can fail when the ethanol content continually changes (i.e. none on one delivery and 10% the next) - it causes the material to keep changing its absorption level and so its swelling. This probably applies to hoses and definitely to 'O' rings. 

MJ