40 years of ownership

My TR3B has been registered in my name for 40 years as of today.  That's starting to sound like a long time!

i-SsRCZTr-X5.jpg

Thanks, Dan.  It looks a little better now than in the summer of 1981 when it lived outside my first apartment (even though it's currently down for cooling upgrades and DOT5 conversion)

i-fKvT3RH.jpg

Not many had the foresight to buy a tr when they were 20 Don let alone keep it!!!!!!(and so lovely)

congrats.

8 hours ago, Hamish said:

Not many had the foresight to buy a tr when they were 20 Don let alone keep it...

Well, 24 at least!

The TR I bought at 20 was my TR250.  Beyond restoring then, it would probably be a candidate today.  I have its nifty magnetic-seal alloy fuel filler cap, though, and may put that on the TR3B just for fun.

40 years !:o

I bought my first car in 1984, a TR7, and I still own it too : so, that's 37 years of ownership.

InkedDSCN0576w_LI.thumb.jpg.3dfec2762bf1815f0bf1a11d718cad90.jpg

Sorry Ian but we have had this conversation before. 

I was in a pub beside the Thames on a Tuesday. The Prospect of Whitby was busy because so many were enthusiastic about the football. There was a rusty old car outside and we were all mocking it because it was for sale. My girlfriend said " don't you want it " and I suddenly saw it all a different way. I managed to buy it on the Wednesday before it came out in Exchange and Mart on the  Thursday. So I collected it from a car park down by the river at Kew. It had a test drive around the car park and I set off up to Hammersmith. It ran out of petrol. 

But we won the 1966 Fifa world cup and I still have the old  1958 TR3A. There have been some repairs but it is fun.

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

Sorry Ian but we have had this conversation before. 

I was in a pub beside the Thames on a Tuesday. The Prospect of Whitby was busy because so many were enthusiastic about the football. There was a rusty old car outside and we were all mocking it because it was for sale. My girlfriend said " don't you want it " and I suddenly saw it all a different way. I managed to buy it on the Wednesday before it came out in Exchange and Mart on the  Thursday. So I collected it from a car park down by the river at Kew. It had a test drive around the car park and I set off up to Hammersmith. It ran out of petrol. 

But we won the 1966 Fifa world cup and I still have the old  1958 TR3A. There have been some repairs but it is fun.

Dear Richard,

What a touching story. It would be so nice if you could post photos of then and now.

Ciao,

David

19 hours ago, ianc said:

In a month's time, I will have owned 4VC for 52 years.  Prior to October 1969, I had owned a couple of TR2s for a total of 6 years.

Ian Cornish

Ian

i think you are hogging that car a little too long now.

i think that you should give it to me to enjoy for a while ;):D

Cheeky, Hamish!

I have a son, who is insured to drive the car, and a grandson (9 years) who recently had a ride, seated in his booster seat and using the seatbelt  - at Malvern, he insisted on a ride from the arena back to Severn Hall, and he takes an interest in the work I undertake on the car.

Ian Cornish

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Not as many years as you guys but in March 2000 I purchased a very nice Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet in white, after talking about sports cars for a while and finding the funds I purchased the TR4 in 2007, (we will sell the Golf to fund the purchase),, after spending a whole day cleaning the Golf to be ready for sale my wife says your not really going to sell that are you? Summer 2007 garaged extended to fit both cars in! Somethings you just can't seem to part with. not sure were they will end up eventually..

Phil

Edited by lynchpin
23 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Guess you've sorted most of the teething troubles then, Gordon.

John

Yes John, first the oil leaks, then the rumble from the rear end and the squeaking from the steering wheel.  but now there is screeching noise from the passenger seat when I drive over 75 mph:wub::lol: