Red Herrings, Blind alleyways and an Idiot at the helm

Hi Folks,

I had a bizarre set of events today in trying to sort my binding brakes.

The other day I found that the NSR slave cylinder was stuck solid on the back plate.

So when the brakes were applied the trailing shoe was pushed onto the drum but could not come off when the pedal was raised

So I spent a good deal of time freeing it up. I found that the groove that held the three locking plates was too narrow - so I opened that up by 0.020 to 0.030"

I appeared to work but in fact that was a red herring.

So today I investigated deeper. I noticed that there were deep ridges on the back plate pads that the shoes rub against - could this hold the shoes against the drum.

I smoothed these down.     

I noticed at the time with the brake pipe removed from the slave cylinder no fluid dripped out - odd I thought.    

Brake fluid came out the master cylinder pipe connection very easily (as it should).     

It also came out of the pipe that went into the restrictor valve - as it should.  Have you spotted the stupid mistake.

I then decided to attack the restrictor valve :o   In order to do this I removed the carburetors to improve access. 

In order to remove the valve I had to disconnect all the brake pipes going into the junction and the bolt holding the junction to the chas- a pig of a job   grrrrrrr.

Sadly this proved to be lacking in innards so was guilty :mellow: a blind alleyway.

I Now put my sensible head on and checked the fluid flow just before the flex hose at the back end. Fluid poured out easily - as it should,

But it didn't come out of the slave bleed nipples.  Could it be the pesky flex hose.

As we all know doubt should fall initially on any flex hose. This hose possibly dates from 1962 - and like a twit I left it till last.

Anyway when the flex pipe was off nothing would pass through it.

All in all I attacked it in the wrong order but I got there.

On Tuesday I shall buy a new flex hose and normal service should resume - please

Roger

Well done Roger

you May have taken the scenic route but you arrived safe with a good result.

im glad it’s not only me that seems to have to dismantle so much to get to a small gain.

H

I had the same problem on both rear sides with my 4A. I noticed the drums getting hot when they shoudn't. I think I found a post on this forum about binding rear brakes due to hose failure, which led me to the rear flexible hoses which were duly replaced.

1 hour ago, Phil Read said:

I had the same problem on both rear sides with my 4A. I noticed the drums getting hot when they shoudn't. I think I found a post on this forum about binding rear brakes due to hose failure, which led me to the rear flexible hoses which were duly replaced.

Hi Phil,

I think the rubber hose is the standard 'go to' for binding brakes. Sadly I did not store this info on my grey cell.

It is interesting the number of faults/issues I found during my circuitous investigations.

Roger

Which car is this Roger?

if TR4 do not forget all 3 flex hoses are as good as the same.  IRS cars have different left and right rears as one screws into a 3 way and uses a copper washer to seal.   That said if the 3 way has taper seats in all orifices a hose with a cone at both ends with 3/8”unf thread could perhaps be substituted.

This is the ARB desert (latterly CAA) we were taught to assume and get out of……….

Peter W