Original Overdrive Switch

12 minutes ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

I cannot find a listing for this switch, the part number and date are engraved so possibly a special short run part.

But due to the shape of the end tip has to have been for a Rootes Group car or possibly a Commer Lorry.

Regards, Richard

Going by the wiring colours its an indicator switch though looks to have no self cancel

Stuart.

Thinking this through and then checking my steering column... Swapping the overdrive switch to the left hand side of the column requires moving the plastic column cover as well. The flat boss on the column cover which is intended to prevent the switch from rotating is essentially mirrored at that point, which means the switch will continue to point towards the dash just as if it were on the right hand side. So that idea won't work...

Hi,

The switch in the photo does not look like any Lucas part I have seen, maybe it was made by Delco Remy.

I have now checked in one of the larger Lucas Catalogues which cover the period from 1945 to 1960 and this does list an overdrive switch for the Series 1 Alpine –  Model  52SA 31925A/D.

The overdrive switch is shown is mounted on a metal bracket – 54332457 – which would attach to the steering column, so presumably this metal bracket has the hole with the flat side which stops the switch itself from rotating.

If the metal bracket is swapped to the opposite side of the column the hole with the flat side would have the same orientation.

Maybe your set-up has something missing or modified

The TR4 has a metal escutcheon which also has the hole with the flat side which holds the overdrive switch and this simply swaps over from left to right without altering the orientation of the switch position.

Regards, Richard

1 - Alpine Series 1.png

2.png

On 2/18/2022 at 6:35 AM, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

The switch in the photo does not look like any Lucas part I have seen, maybe it was made by Delco Remy.

I have now checked in one of the larger Lucas Catalogues which cover the period from 1945 to 1960 and this does list an overdrive switch for the Series 1 Alpine –  Model  52SA 31925A/D.

The overdrive switch is shown is mounted on a metal bracket – 54332457 – which would attach to the steering column, so presumably this metal bracket has the hole with the flat side which stops the switch itself from rotating.

If the metal bracket is swapped to the opposite side of the column the hole with the flat side would have the same orientation.

Maybe your set-up has something missing or modified

The TR4 has a metal escutcheon which also has the hole with the flat side which holds the overdrive switch and this simply swaps over from left to right without altering the orientation of the switch position.

Regards, Richard

1 - Alpine Series 1.png

2.png

Thanks for the diagram! Not really able to find any oem sunbeam switches, but I did find a 31727 which is for a Rover headlamp/overdrive switch. It doesn't have the wire leads, but I think I can use the ones on the TR4 switch I bought in its place.

Do these looks like spade connectors?

P5%20h-lamp%20sw%20LHD.JPG

P5%20h-lamp%20sw%20LHD.JPGPlease wait while image is uploading...

image.thumb.png.1d090a619a17de40af5aea59db6e1b7d.png

Edited by bbroderi
picture