Original Overdrive Switch

Hiya,

Thank for this forum. I really enjoy the read. If my English isn't up to par, please bear with me... I´m danish...

I have been searching high and low for a picture of an original overdrive switch, as the one supplied from the normal vendors just seem a little too long and.. well ... not right. 

So can any of you gents help?

Regards 

Niels Peter

4 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Niels,

welcome to the forum.

I have not heard of the OD switch being the wrong size.  I'll measure mine tomorrow and get back to you.

Why do you think they are incorrect?

Your English is very good.

Roger

Thanks Roger :-)

It just seems to long.... and strangely pointed towards the dash facia... 

IMG_3827.jpg

Aha!   that might be it then.... mine leans towards the dash and not the steering wheel. Although I ordered one for LHD :mellow:

But the length.. if you could help with that, that would be much appreciated

/Niels Peter

55 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Niels,

The metal stalk is 110mm  and the plastic knob is 38mm = 148mm

Roger

thank you Roger... might just be a RHD stalk I have as the measurements correspond.. 

/Niels Peter 

Hi Niels,

I note that your car is 1962 and the Lucas Catalogue lists a 34490 switch and I do have one of these to hand.

This switch has a chromed stalk which cranks almost immediately it emerges from the alloy body of the switch and has a length of 2.7/8” (7.30cm) the black plastic end is 1.5/8” (4.12cm) in length and thus the lever has an overall length of 4.1/2” (11.43 cm).

The switch is wired up and operates when pulled downwards.

Sometime ago I did purchased a repro overdrive switch and found it to be exactly the same size and a good quality reproduction part, however it was constructed and wired to operate when pushed upwards, this did not bother me as I converted it into a Momentary switch.

I would be very careful when purchasing any of the current reproduction offerings as the prices have risen quite dramatically and most visually appear to be too long and possibly incorrectly cranked.

I have even noted some switches which have the black plastic tips the wrong way round, as in the following link...!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184966781282?hash=item2b10e11962:g:z-8AAOSw9kBhAAnZ

It appears to be a case of insufficient research when prototyping for production, plus a total lack of Quality control.

I can provide more information or sketches if it helps in your search.

Regards, Richard

1 - 4.5 inch lever length.jpg

3.jpg

5 - Off Position.jpg

6 - On Position.jpg

4 hours ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi Niels,

I note that your car is 1962 and the Lucas Catalogue lists a 34490 switch and I do have one of these to hand.

This switch has a chromed stalk which cranks almost immediately it emerges from the alloy body of the switch and has a length of 2.7/8” (7.30cm) the black plastic end is 1.5/8” (4.12cm) in length and thus the lever has an overall length of 4.1/2” (11.43 cm).

Sometime ago I did purchased a repro overdrive switch and found it to be exactly the same size and a good quality reproduction part, however it was constructed and wired to operate when pushed upwards, this did not bother me as I converted it into a Momentary switch.

I would be very careful when purchasing any of the current reproduction offerings as the prices have risen quite dramatically and most visually appear to be too long and possibly incorrectly cranked.

I have even noted some switches which have the black plastic tips the wrong way round, as in the following link...!!!

It appears to be a case of insufficient research when prototyping for production, plus a total lack of Quality control.

Regards, Richard

Thank you Richard for the comprehensive info...  :-)

This being an original switch you have, is the stalk on your here straight? ( not handed for RHD og LHD)?

3 hours ago, 62-tr4-DK said:

Thank you Richard for the comprehensive info...  :-)

This being an original switch you have, is the stalk on your here straight? ( not handed for RHD og LHD)?

Hi Niels,

For clarification the photo below shows the switch when viewed from the top looking downwards and the stalk cranks out from the dash panel – it basically follows the dish in the steering wheel.

In the first message the third photo is looking straight through the steering wheel and shows the switch in the OFF position.

The fourth photo of the first message is again looking straight through the steering wheel and shows the switch in the ON position.

So this original switch is for use on a LHD car.

It does get more complicated as a revised Owners Handbook was issued in 1963 and for LHD cars both switches were swapped over with the O.D. on the left and Indicator on the right...???

Unfortunately I have never seen an O.D. switch, part number 34489, which was for a RHD car, I have always assumed the only difference was the wiring to make it operate a the downwards direction

Regards, Richard

13.jpg

Hi Niels,

When I was putting the original switch away when I came across a possible solution for you, however this rather depends upon how original you wish to keep the car.

I sourced a switch to modify into a Momentary switch as I did not want to alter an original switch...! Thus I purchased a Rover switch which had a similar look and action.

This switch has a similar shaped cranked stalk and has a larger black plastic tip so is overall slightly longer, I was going to reduce the length of the tip and splay it like an original – however in the end I never used it as an excellent reproduction switch was located.

In the photos you will see that the alloy body is in a different orientation which presents an issue when fitting it into the steel escutcheon as the location flat is on the wrong side.

However two solutions are possible :

The first way is to carefully file down the opposite side of the threaded section into a “flat” which then correctly locates into the original steel escutcheon – this “flat” basically stops the switch from ever twisting.

The second solution is the remove the steel escutcheon and rotate it by 180 degrees this puts the flat in a position to match that of the switch.

Also the Indicator escutcheon has to be rotated due to the way the two escutcheons are fitted and screwed together – the further complication is that the “Indicator transfer label” will then be facing towards the dash panel.

So the Rover switch (from 1973) is available if of use to you.

Regards, Richard

8 .jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Hi Richard,

Thank you again for the insight. 

I think I will decline the offer for the Rover-switch... I am not convinced that I will not just end up ruining it. And this would be a shame.

Think I just need to keep looking and hope for the best. :-) but this has really helped me :)

I simply love the knowledge you guys have between you...   very impressed.

/Niels Peter

It looks as if youve been supplied with a LHD switch for the later TR4 where the switch would have been on the other side.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,  

My thoughts exactly.... As being in Denmark I perhaps have received a RHD instead of LHD Switch for a LHD TR4 when ordered..

Thank you.

/Niels Peter

Edited by 62-tr4-DK
  • 5 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, RAHTR4 said:

Hi Niels,

Regards, Richard

3.jpg

Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've found an OD switch on my Series II Sunbeam Alpine which has this same 34490B part number as shown above. I'm not sure if the switch is original to the car, but it looks the part. Anyways, does anyone know what the "B" at the end of the part number means?

Hi,

I can confirm that Lucas did not share the part numbers of major items with different Manufacturers so the 34490B is definitely a part only fitted to the Triumph range of cars.

I have checked the 1962 Lucas part catalogue which details the Series II Alpine and all Lucas Catalogues list the overdrive parts at the end of each model listing.

Unusually the only three overdrive parts listed – the Relay, Inhibitor switch and Solenoid – but no overdrive switch.

I then looked at the indicator switch which should be a 37SA 34332A and this has a clamp which secures it around the steering column – also the black plastic end tip is a slim oval shape.

Next I checked the listing for the Series IIIA Rapier and this time it does detail an overdrive switch – 52SA 34331A and this a very similar shape of switch and it also has a slim oval black end tip, so I would assume that this switch was also have been used on the Alpine.

Not a complete answer, so maybe you need to look at some reference photos to determine if the above is correct.

Regards, Richard

2 hours ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

I can confirm that Lucas did not share the part numbers of major items with different Manufacturers so the 34490B is definitely a part only fitted to the Triumph range of cars.

I have checked the 1962 Lucas part catalogue which details the Series II Alpine and all Lucas Catalogues list the overdrive parts at the end of each model listing.

Unusually the only three overdrive parts listed – the Relay, Inhibitor switch and Solenoid – but no overdrive switch.

I then looked at the indicator switch which should be a 37SA 34332A and this has a clamp which secures it around the steering column – also the black plastic end tip is a slim oval shape.

Next I checked the listing for the Series IIIA Rapier and this time it does detail an overdrive switch – 52SA 34331A and this a very similar shape of switch and it also has a slim oval black end tip, so I would assume that this switch was also have been used on the Alpine.

Not a complete answer, so maybe you need to look at some reference photos to determine if the above is correct.

Regards, Richard

Thank you for the research. What does the B at the end of "34490B" refer to?

The LHD column location for the overdrive switch is on the right-hand side of the column (looking forward). Is the TR4 LHD location on the left-hand side, or right?

Hi,

I really don’t know what the letter prefix represent as the manufacturing date of any part is marked or stamped on it and if a part was revised or altered Lucas appear to always use a new part number.

All the larger Part Catalogues have pages of lists of the items which have been superseded –each showing the old and new numbers which must have been a nightmare to keep up to date.

I understand the general consensus for switch positioning is that whatever was used in the UK, the switches were reversed in the USA – but remember the USA was the dominant market so if the USA wanted something changed it got changed.

The earliest TR4 Owner Handbook I have was issued in 1961 and it only show a LHD dashboard with the overdrive switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

The other TR4 Owners Handbook I have is from 1963 and this does show both LHD and RHD dashboards.

In this publication the LHD dashboard has the overdrive switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

Whilst the RHD dashboard has the overdrive switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

Just to confuse matters even more in the 1966 TR4A Owners Handbook they do have both LHD and RHD dashboards but no overdrive switches are shown..?

LHD – the indicator switch is on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

RHD – the indicator switch is on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

So presumably the optional extra overdrive switch would have been fitted on the opposite sides.

As you can tell I really don’t have a definitive answer, probably a case of placing the switches where they are most comfortable to use.

Regards, Richard

P.S.

You will probably have to sketch out the above combination of positions to make sense of it....!!!!

1 hour ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

I really don’t know what the letter prefix represent as the manufacturing date of any part is marked or stamped on it and if a part was revised or altered Lucas appear to always use a new part number.

All the larger Part Catalogues have pages of lists of the items which have been superseded –each showing the old and new numbers which must have been a nightmare to keep up to date.

I understand the general consensus for switch positioning is that whatever was used in the UK, the switches were reversed in the USA – but remember the USA was the dominant market so if the USA wanted something changed it got changed.

The earliest TR4 Owner Handbook I have was issued in 1961 and it only show a LHD dashboard with the overdrive switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

The other TR4 Owners Handbook I have is from 1963 and this does show both LHD and RHD dashboards.

In this publication the LHD dashboard has the overdrive switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

Whilst the RHD dashboard has the overdrive switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

Just to confuse matters even more in the 1966 TR4A Owners Handbook they do have both LHD and RHD dashboards but no overdrive switches are shown..?

LHD – the indicator switch is on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

RHD – the indicator switch is on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

So presumably the optional extra overdrive switch would have been fitted on the opposite sides.

As you can tell I really don’t have a definitive answer, probably a case of placing the switches where they are most comfortable to use.

Regards, Richard

P.S.

You will probably have to sketch out the above combination of positions to make sense of it....!!!!

This makes sense. I ordered a LHD TR4 replacement switch, and I'm guessing it will be upside down because my car has the switch in the right hand side of the column. The existing switch and the turn signal switch are both chrome, and the replacement LHD switch is black. I'm thinking a RHD switch would give me the proper fitment on my Sunbeam, and the RHD switches appear to be the only ones I can find with a chrome finish!

9 hours ago, bbroderi said:

This makes sense. I ordered a LHD TR4 replacement switch, and I'm guessing it will be upside down because my car has the switch in the right hand side of the column. The existing switch and the turn signal switch are both chrome, and the replacement LHD switch is black. I'm thinking a RHD switch would give me the proper fitment on my Sunbeam, and the RHD switches appear to be the only ones I can find with a chrome finish!

Most of the repro switches have the chrome under the black.

Stuart.

Hi,

I have been sorting through some column switches and found a possibly candidate for your Alpines overdrive switch with a chrome stalk and what I think is the correct shape of black plastic end tip.

It has a two way switch where centred is the off position, then push up for on or down for on, so it can easily be modified to a one position switch for use as an overdrive switch.

The cranked portion of the stalk is set about 20 degrees and has an overall length of 5.1/2”

Regards, Richard

1.jpg

1 hour ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi,

I have been sorting through some column switches and found a possibly candidate for your Alpines overdrive switch with a chrome stalk and what I think is the correct shape of black plastic end tip.

It has a two way switch where centred is the off position, then push up for on or down for on, so it can easily be modified to a one position switch for use as an overdrive switch.

The cranked portion of the stalk is set about 20 degrees and has an overall length of 5.1/2”

Regards, Richard

1.jpg

It looks the part. Where is that switch used? 

Lol, someone just told me that Rootes originally put the overdrive switch on the left hand side for a LHD car, and the turn signal switch was rotated. The premise was that the OD could be operated with the free LH fingers while the RH was being used to shift. IF this is the case, then a TR4 switch should work fine for me. We'll see when I get home today...