Float chamber issue SU Carb

That doesn't look like the original tube, it appears to be copper not brass like the other two so perhaps it has failed before? 

JB-Weld will hold it if you clean both mating surfaces well, back to bright metal.   Don't use ordinary epoxy as that isn't fuel-proof.

(snap Ian !)

Edited by RobH

You  have to get  the right loctite as only a few are fuel-proof Andrew, and fixing to aluminium alloy needs an appropriate primer.  JB-weld is easier to get hold of. 

• 2 weeks later...

The identical thing happened to me first time out with one of my brand new SUs in my '6.  Being in a hurry I glued it back in with Araldite, and set off on a 60 mile journey.  Its done around 15,000 miles since and the araldite is still holding, but you have reminded me that I should do a more "permanent" fix.

This was a problem 50 years ago on the Ford V6 Essex engine carb.  
The tube pulled out and the fuel pumped all over the engine.   Fix I think was refit the tube with araldite  and drill and pin one side of the tube in place from the side.

Epoxy adhesives, including JB-Weld, have excellent compatibility with petrol (including alcohol mixes). When cleaning back to bright metal ensure you have a rough finish to get good keying

Mike

Edited by MikeF
On 9/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

This was a problem 50 years ago on the Ford V6 Essex engine carb.  
The tube pulled out and the fuel pumped all over the engine.   Fix I think was refit the tube with araldite  and drill and pin one side of the tube in place from the side.

Yep! - ask me how I know?

John.

On 8/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, RobH said:

That doesn't look like the original tube, it appears to be copper not brass like the other two so perhaps it has failed before? 

JB-Weld will hold it if you clean both mating surfaces well, back to bright metal.   Don't use ordinary epoxy as that isn't fuel-proof.

(snap Ian !)

Looks like a PO couldn't get hold of the proper float chamber lid and used this as a stopgap. Yep...ordinary epoxy isn't fuel-proof. Tried this method prior to posting. Used a 1/4 tank of fuel to get home when it failed miserably.