An engine build video

9 hours ago, Deggers said:

Tasty! :)

Will the rad be getting a custom long neck, before the apron is refitted?

Deggers

I can see an Expansion tank/filleris already fitted to the bulkhead behind the wiper motor.

10 hours ago, Deggers said:

Tasty! :)

Will the rad be getting a custom long neck, before the apron is refitted?

Deggers

Hi deggers

i had a starting hole (less) long neck rad with a tiny leak where the neck joins the rad ( and no I don’t lean on it !) but it does deflect some under high revs  

so whilst it’s apart I have gone with a 4a neck-less version with a bigger expansion tank that fits in the bulkhead as Peter spotted ;)

always discover some things that need doing whilst it’s accessible.

Edited by Hamish
10 hours ago, DaveB66 said:

Hi

That's my 6 in front of your car!

Dave

Hi Dave

at least it’s not cold and alone. 
:D

47 minutes ago, Hamish said:

so whilst it’s apart I have gone with a 4a neck-less version with a bigger expansion tank that fits in the bulkhead as Peter spotted ;)

Thats a TR4 rad FWIW.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats a TR4 rad FWIW.

Stuart.

Thanks stuart

glad I’m not going tooooo modern. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thanks stuart

glad I’m not going tooooo modern. :lol:

Only thing with that is they are higher than original sidescreen fitting so you may find youll never be able to remove the flat cap on it. Not that you should really need to but just in case.

Stuart.

53 minutes ago, stuart said:

Only thing with that is they are higher than original sidescreen fitting so you may find youll never be able to remove the flat cap on it. Not that you should really need to but just in case.

Stuart.

Thanks. Going for a blank I think. 

3 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thanks. Going for a blank I think. 

It should be a blank cap anyway or your expansion tank wont work.

Stuart.

4 minutes ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

+1

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

I’ve seen that mod done on sidescreen cars with the top of the radiator filler neck removed and blanked.   A steam hose only from it to the bulkhead filler expansion tank.   The system is topped through the expansion tank that is ‘T’ d into the heater return pipe.

or reinvent the wheel and fit one of these….

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/spares-shop/ols/products/tr2-thermostat-housing

2793D8A8-B82F-4ACE-A3A7-86C4DC329DBF.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
10 hours ago, Hamish said:

at least it’s not cold and alone. 

Hi Hamish,

That's good, my 4 is in one of the other TRE workshops having an engine transplant to a very similar specification as yours, they fired it up for the first time at the end of last week and hopefully I'll get it back before Christmas.

Dave 

2 hours ago, DaveB66 said:

Hi Hamish,

That's good, my 4 is in one of the other TRE workshops having an engine transplant to a very similar specification as yours, they fired it up for the first time at the end of last week and hopefully I'll get it back before Christmas.

Dave 

Ditto 

but not rushed. I’d rather a ‘proper job’ and bedded in for the sake of some holidays at home. 

Edited by Hamish
30 minutes ago, Deggers said:

Hamish, seeing your previous engine on the floor, just reminded me.

What ram pipes were you running there? 

TRcarb.jpg.c937f6d712dcdc69f39cb9281abe93c8.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Deggers I had remembered seeing an old comparison of various intake efficiencies. 
And I found these on line. 
not quite a fully rounded profile but near enough. 
but search the forum because I’m sure our very own Bob made his own with a side vent hole 

E327EFE8-82B3-405A-BF8C-F42437845CAE.jpeg

6755C5DC-2443-45FE-9AC8-DE3F8F1D5059.jpeg

4 minutes ago, DaveB66 said:

it's not being rushed, they've had it since the spring! But it was good to see the video of it running

The best takes time like a good wine.

this is why I got another engine as I think this process started for me around February .

and I still raced the car this year. 1st in class with the old engine so the pressure is on all of us. 

1 minute ago, Hamish said:

The best takes time like a good wine.

this is why I got another engine as I think this process started for me around February .

and I still raced the car this year. 1st in class with the old engine so the pressure is on all of us. 

Well done! We are all proud of you! I mean it. And can't wait to see the new crop of hillclimbs with this more powerful engine :)

Ciao,

David

2 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Well done! We are all proud of you! I mean it. And can't wait to see the new crop of hillclimbs with this more powerful engine :)

Ciao,

David

Thanks David. 
that is so kind and generous of you to say. 
:)

16 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Deggers I had remembered seeing an old comparison of various intake efficiencies ... but search the forum because I’m sure our very own Bob made his own with a side vent hole

That rings a bell, I'll have a hunt through the vaults (and the med-engineering website).

Cheers for the info Hamish.

2 hours ago, Deggers said:

That rings a bell, I'll have a hunt through the vaults (and the med-engineering website).

Cheers for the info Hamish.

Have read of this long (9 page?) article on MGA guru regarding velocity stacks.

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/power/pp104.htm

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I’m surprised no supplier has created an off the shelf air-filter housing using the MED Engineering stub-stacks and cold-air feed.

MED engineering themselves have recently launched a replacement air filter/stub-stack assembly for the MGB (without a cold-air feed)

..... Andy

It lives and has had its first outing on the road so TRE are satisfied and to get mileage on it before head tightening and proper set up. 
the engine is ace and I’m very pleased.

it was a bl@@dy cold and damp outing so a big thank you to the whole team. 

I was worried about the unknown extras bill. You know the ones that appear once the car was apart.  
There were non.
The only real “extra” was the radiator and expansion tank  but I had expected that as I had done an epoxy glue repair during the season to a small weep and I had the opportunity to go for the later rad set up and the very neat TRE expansion tank that fits in the peddle blank hole. Together with knowns like new fuel pump etc.

job done to the plan, spec, time frame and price. You really can’t ask for more .

( it was a lot easier for them and me that we sourced another TR3 engine to work on at their leisure and that convenience cost wasn’t a lot at all )

I just need it back so I can start to get the miles on it. I will be following their advice as to how/method.