An engine build video

14 minutes ago, stuart said:

I dont see why it would.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart 

if you are talking about the class issues. 

our regs for the class 2 (modified) that I am in already state

S13.4.5 bulkheads and inner wings to remain as standard .

which would mean you’d fall into class 3  with any inner wing cut outs such as Miles has shown us. 

3 hours ago, MilesA said:

These guys love air . . . 

Neat mod, Miles. And I notice you have a cold air feed too.

I've occasionally thought about adding a filtered cold air box to my 3A, and wondered what HP advantages (if any) might be gained by introducing one to a stock engine?

Off-the-peg cold air boxes (as far as I'm aware) don't come in 'Sidescreen' flavour, but there are plenty of other marques and models around for inspiration. I just need to do a bit of head scratching first, and work out how to make it fit. :huh:

TRair3A.thumb.jpg.554cbc6a733e5ead83f2d5bddcd169bb.jpg

TRair4A.thumb.jpg.e65813ed6eff1b0d46c4dfd7646a1af9.jpg

TRair1A.thumb.jpg.56ee03d29a79c743aed75d9e764ac2ad.jpg

Deggers

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

Thanks Miles that’s a lot clearer and a very neat job on great inner wing. Yes looks like someone took a lot of care making that shaped panel. 

I think such inner wing modifications would put me into the full modified class with the full on race cars.

Along with bonnet vents?

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

Neat mod, Miles. And I notice you have a cold air feed too.

I've occasionally thought about adding a filtered cold air box to my 3A, and wondered what HP advantages (if any) might be gained by introducing one to a stock engine?

Off-the-peg cold air boxes (as far as I'm aware) don't come in 'Sidescreen' flavour, but there are plenty of other marques and models around for inspiration. I just need to do a bit of head scratching first, and work out how to make it fit. :huh:

TRair3A.thumb.jpg.554cbc6a733e5ead83f2d5bddcd169bb.jpg

TRair4A.thumb.jpg.e65813ed6eff1b0d46c4dfd7646a1af9.jpg

TRair1A.thumb.jpg.56ee03d29a79c743aed75d9e764ac2ad.jpg

Deggers

"and wondered what HP advantages (if any) might be gained by introducing one to a stock engine?"

Maybe a couple of hp.

The corrugated hose will negate any possible ram affect from forward motion also, it jumbles the airflow and stalls it, although you can get some with smooth bore piping. Which is when you find even the small pressure change caused by the ram messes up the carburation and the needle valve function and needs sorting separately.

Mick Richards 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Do not try a sealed box with ram pipe fed from the front of the car into the carbs.  Apparently ( I think I read Kastner tried it) the air pressure build up will overcome the fuel pressure in the carbs and the thing will run like a bag of poo at high forward speeds.   So no benefit.  The MG set up looks effective though as does the regular Spitfire. Although why the orange car has chosen to obstruct the radiator with the filter is any ones guess.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
8 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Do not try a sealed box with ram pipe fed from the front of the car into the carbs.  Apparently ( I think I read Kastner tried it) the air pressure build up will overcome the fuel pressure in the carbs and the thing will run like a bag of poo at high forward speeds.   So no benefit.  The MG set up looks effective though as does the regular Spitfire. Although why the orange car has chosen to obstruct the radiator with the filter is any ones guess.

More have tried it as well as Kas Peter, we were posting together.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Along with bonnet vents?

Body panels are ok to change in class 2 and above as long as the outline doesn’t significantly change but a small bib/air dam permitted on front valance 

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"and wondered what HP advantages (if any) might be gained by introducing one to a stock engine?"

Maybe a couple of hp.

The corrugated hose will negate any possible ram affect from forward motion also, it jumbles the airflow and stalls it, although you can get some with smooth bore piping. Which is when you find even the small pressure change caused by the ram messes up the carburation and the needle valve function and needs sorting separately.

Mick Richards 

And my air feed was just an amateur attempt to reduce air temps for combustion rather than any ram air effect.

4 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Maybe a couple of hp. The corrugated hose will negate any possible ram affect . . .

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Do not try a sealed box with ram pipe fed from the front of the car into the carbs . . .

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Good to know.

Cheers, Deggers

On 12/29/2021 at 1:26 PM, Hamish said:

Thanks Miles that’s a lot clearer and a very neat job on great inner wing. Yes looks like someone took a lot of care making that shaped panel. 

I think such inner wing modifications would put me into the full modified class with the full on race cars.

such a modification is not allowed in FIA

1 minute ago, roy53 said:

such a modification is not allowed in FIA

Hi Roy

i don’t run FIA. I just do MSUK and the clubs championship rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lovely 100 mile drive today through the Cheshire countryside to get some more miles on the new engine. 
a good variety of roads and speeds. Nothing very constant which is good. 
pity fuel is getting a bit expensive 

58548DEA-9928-4641-A05A-663BAF88201E.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Had a lovely 100 mile drive today through the Cheshire countryside to get some more miles on the new engine. 
a good variety of roads and speeds. Nothing very constant which is good. 
pity fuel is getting a bit expensive 

58548DEA-9928-4641-A05A-663BAF88201E.jpeg

…and all they do is take it out the ground!

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
11 hours ago, BRENDA1 said:

H you did not get your petrol from Congleton I payed more than that, hope the motor is running well. 

Mike redrose group 

Shell congleton Sunday lunch time. 
engine seems very sweet.

but in Devon from mid week so other priorities. 

Edited by Hamish
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 1:58 PM, Hamish said:

Hi Stuart 

if you are talking about the class issues. 

our regs for the class 2 (modified) that I am in already state

S13.4.5 bulkheads and inner wings to remain as standard .

which would mean you’d fall into class 3  with any inner wing cut outs such as Miles has shown us. 

Hamish

Where are you getting your reference for inner wings from?

2022 Blue Book gives this for S13.4.5

13.4.5. Bulkheads and/or inner wings may be modified to
permit the clearance of the induction system. This shall be
understood to include air induction ducting, manifolding,
trumpets/ram pipes for engine carburation or fuel injection
system only.

And I can't see reference to that section being modified in our regs?

Other points about ram pipes noted.

I have Revington air box fed from single large K&N filter located forward of the radiator but behind the side baffle on the apron so no ram effect but cooler air supply than around the engine. And you know it doesn't go like a bag of poo!! ;)

Cheers

Phil

2 hours ago, PhilipB said:

Hamish

Where are you getting your reference for inner wings from?

2022 Blue Book gives this for S13.4.5

13.4.5. Bulkheads and/or inner wings may be modified to
permit the clearance of the induction system. This shall be
understood to include air induction ducting, manifolding,
trumpets/ram pipes for engine carburation or fuel injection
system only.

And I can't see reference to that section being modified in our regs?

Other points about ram pipes noted.

I have Revington air box fed from single large K&N filter located forward of the radiator but behind the side baffle on the apron so no ram effect but cooler air supply than around the engine. And you know it doesn't go like a bag of poo!! ;)

Cheers

Phil

Phil

you look to be right on the inner wing issue 

i was writing at a time where i only had the 2021 TRR regs and S 13.4.5 stated inner wings to remain as standard

thus looks like it doesn't count this year if there are modifications for air intakes thus Miles is ok worth checking with Larry tho.

interestingly i am reading an old book that i found whilst with mum - it was one of dads "Alf francis racing mechanic" published 1966 about HWM chef mechanic in 1948-1956 ish 

and they went to webers in 1950 and struggled and at an italian race the weber rep had a look and the issue was the ramair effect on the HWM