An engine build video

….and what are the air cleaners you have used?.   Interest based on the fact we will need a pair for the 42s which are destined to go on brother’s car once the head has been torqued.   

I had been looking at ITG. Sausage type with a back plate as the ram pipes need holding in.

Just looked at your top radiator hose clamps.   The one nearest the radiator will be near impossible to undo the way it is fitted in the video once the front apron is installed. Should you need to replace the top hose.   Easy job on a wind up window car but another level of challenge once the apron is in place to get a screw driver on that vertically arranged screw.

PS a Dremel with a cutting disc would fix it though…….

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

….and what are the air cleaners you have used?.   Interest based on the fact we will need a pair for the 42s which are destined to go on brother’s car once the head has been torqued.   

I had been looking at ITG. Sausage type with a back plate as the ram pipes need holding in.

7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Just looked at your top radiator hose clamps.   The one nearest the radiator will be near impossible to undo the way it is fitted in the video once the front apron is installed. Should you need to replace the top hose.   Easy job on a wind up window car but another level of challenge once the apron is in place to get a screw driver on that vertically arranged screw.

PS a Dremel with a cutting disc would fix it though…….

Peter

Happy Christmas 

i am away from the car at the moment but I think they are K and N filters. Not sure why they were fitted after setup with the  ram pipe trumpets. (Keep the air clean for the running in road use I guess. )

I will be going a very similar route to you though I think once I get the ram pipes on again. But you need a lot of space for these types as they want

“If you are using rampipes you must ensure an absolute minimum gap of 19mm or preferably 32mm between the end of the pipe & the filter.’

as to the hose clamp. I am impressed with your eye for detail. That’s experience for you. 
but I must admit that I often use a 1/4” drive on these clips and as they are normally about a 6 or 7mm socket, I hope I can get it to fit so I can turn it a bit to future proof myself. But thanks for pointing it out. 

12 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I would be very wary of using a foam type on Webers, ask Tony Sheach about when he nearly lost BST to an engine fire through them.

Stuart.

10 minutes ago, stuart said:

I would be very wary of using a foam type on Webers, ask Tony Sheach about when he nearly lost BST to an engine fire through them.

Stuart.

ditto and Criss Edwards

31 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Ok. Taken that issue with foam filters on board.   I recall that was a reason for promoting K&N.

Now what about a cold air box with a filtered cold feed   Sort of PI like.   

Yes good plan though you would have to either taper it to fit the inner wing shape going forward or take a large rubber hammer to the inner wing.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Yes good plan though you would have to either taper it to fit the inner wing shape going forward or take a large rubber hammer to the inner wing.

Stuart.

Not what I’m doing, …throw the long stacks which don’t work as well and fit “ stub stacks” underneath the air box. They are less than 25mm long and an air box will cover them with enough space to breathe between them and the box cover.

Mick Richards

7 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Not what I’m doing, …throw the long stacks which don’t work as well and fit “ stub stacks” underneath the air box. They are less than 25mm long and an air box will cover them with enough space to breathe between them and the box cover.

Mick Richards

You have more room on a 4 than Hamish has on his 3a, weve just done similar for an EFI 4a and the airbox is very tight but do able with shorter stubs.

Stuart.

59 minutes ago, stuart said:

You have more room on a 4 than Hamish has on his 3a, weve just done similar for an EFI 4a and the airbox is very tight but do able with shorter stubs.

Stuart.

+ 1 That’s a good point. Thanks Stuart.

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mick Richards

Hi Mick - do you have a picture of how your air-box is set up? I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was surprised there wasn’t an after-market option available to house MED-style stub stacks, there were no replies so I think I’ll probably make up something myself and any initial pointers you have would be great.

thanks…. Andy 

15 minutes ago, DaveB66 said:

Hi Andy

Revington do various ready made air-boxes - https://www.revingtontr.com/tr4/fuel-brakes/air-boxes

Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for the link - I’ll have a closer look at those options, although I can’t help but think it should be possible without the need to alter the inner wing on a 4, but Revington undoubtedly have far more insight than me :D

…… Andy 

On 12/25/2021 at 11:53 AM, stuart said:

Stuart.

On 12/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, roy53 said:

ditto and Criss Edwards

Can anyone expand on why the  foam ones are hazardous with webers. I am considering them as easily removable for competition that so many seem to do. 

12 hours ago, Hamish said:

Can anyone expand on why the  foam ones are hazardous with webers. I am considering them as easily removable for competition that so many seem to do. 

There is a large "stand off" of fuel mix which emits from the trumpets in use...some 2 or 3 inches. No problem without a filter or with a pukka K&N , but if a foam filter is fitted it carries this highly volatile mix in it's cell structure, then as Neil points out if the carb spits allowing a flashback the mix can be ignited.

Mick Richards 

Hi Miles

thanks. Your look very deep filters. 
is your recess “hammered”  in or cut out and then a dished panel welded in ?

Hi Hamish

Yes, filters are deep. Had assumed it was because it was best to maximise the potential for air intake as against the size of the end plate on each. These guys love air and I know you already have a duct installed. Go for the largest diameter you can get in. Here is a better photo of scale of the filters. Need to guess their depth as the car is garaged a mile away but would think about 3.5" deep. It will be a standard K&N size anyway.

1065966116_Version2(1).thumb.jpg.ec1181741774ac9d412bb157cc603cf2.jpg

I was not responsible for creating the recess but pretty sure it was panel beaten. It's very neat. There is plenty of room under the arch and obviously it does not foul the wheel. Better image below. It extends to the end of the L/H filter. Spoke with another owner in the past who had done the same thing for the same reason.

1408925969_Version2.thumb.jpg.0fd27533b0633aee1250f949d875b06e.jpg

Miles

35 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Hi Hamish

Yes, filters are deep. Had assumed it was because it was best to maximise the potential for air intake as against the size of the end plate on each. These guys love air and I know you already have a duct installed. Go for the largest diameter you can get in. Here is a better photo of scale of the filters. Need to guess their depth as the car is garaged a mile away but would think about 3.5" deep. It will be a standard K&N size anyway.

1065966116_Version2(1).thumb.jpg.ec1181741774ac9d412bb157cc603cf2.jpg

I was not responsible for creating the recess but pretty sure it was panel beaten. It's very neat. There is plenty of room under the arch and obviously it does not foul the wheel. Better image below. It extends to the end of the L/H filter. Spoke with another owner in the past who had done the same thing for the same reason.

1408925969_Version2.thumb.jpg.0fd27533b0633aee1250f949d875b06e.jpg

Miles

Very nice mod to fit the filters,it looks very professional.  It would have had the inner wing cut then a new panel welded in, you would never be able to stretch the existing metal that much and if you tried you would pull the inner wing all out of shape

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

Happy to defer to those who know. It is very neat job though.

Miles

Thanks Miles that’s a lot clearer and a very neat job on great inner wing. Yes looks like someone took a lot of care making that shaped panel. 

I think such inner wing modifications would put me into the full modified class with the full on race cars.

14 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thanks Miles that’s a lot clearer and a very neat job on great inner wing. Yes looks like someone took a lot of care making that shaped panel. 

I think such inner wing modifications would put me into the full modified class with the full on race cars.

I dont see why it would.

Stuart.