An engine build video

TRE have done some pictures for me that I have put together

a modern equivalent to a picture flick book 

you’ll remember making them.

I see your crank has had the scroll oil seal machined off, so I presume you are using the Landrover seal

Do you know how the big end ARP bolts were tightened ?  torque figure or stretch or rotation ?

How much was skimmed off the head, & what CR will you have. Are the push rods shortened.

Looks good anyway :)

Bob.

16 minutes ago, BRENDA1 said:

Looking good when are we putting it in, it’ll be as easy as the gear box. Are you getting them to static run the engine first?

Mike redrose group 

Hi Mike

they are going to run up the engine and an initial RR set up. They are also going to swap the engines over for me. 

13 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I see your crank has had the scroll oil seal machined off, so I presume you are using the Landrover seal

Do you know how the big end ARP bolts were tightened ?  torque figure or stretch or rotation ?

How much was skimmed off the head, & what CR will you have. Are the push rods shortened.

Looks good anyway :)

Bob.

Bob I am afraid I don’t have that level of detail as I don’t have your skills I let the experts do what they know. It’s a Burgess race head. 
the block is machined parallel to crank and the liners matched so doing away with fig 8

• 3 months later...

It’s getting exciting now as it’s all going together. I did a deal with the engine builder that they would fit it and run in the cam and due to personal logistics they will now put the first few hundred miles for the price of the fuel then do the head tightening - tappet adjustments etc.

then I can get some proper running in miles on it before competition abuse next year.

Whilst I had dearly wanted to do the driving to get it bedded in - family commitments in Devon comes first, at least this way they can’t claim it was done wrong !

3268E4EC-D1A6-4FC7-A785-06BF5083072C.jpeg

F2F259D9-BF4B-4237-ACFC-9D492B5CE56C.jpeg

5B92BD4A-7B4C-4958-9BAB-14A8C27B318C.jpeg

D9FBD586-592F-4AF5-90E9-1F4B0986968D.jpeg

680F25EF-F891-4998-90B4-C9ADF3DB9972.jpeg

Hi

yes Stuart that was my logic too but also my car has a black and silver theme

Deggers, looking for 160+ power and similar torque. 
it’s not a steel race engine but hopefully a nice tractable, reliable,  fast road engine that will just put me up one class in next years comp.

Hopefully - it’s just a well balanced 89mm engine with a Pete burgess head. 

it’s not a full race all steel 200bhp wonder.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:53 AM, Hamish said:

Hi Mike

they are going to run up the engine and an initial RR set up. They are also going to swap the engines over for me. 

Bob I am afraid I don’t have that level of detail as I don’t have your skills I let the experts do what they know. It’s a Burgess race head. 
the block is machined parallel to crank and the liners matched so doing away with fig 8

Hi Hamish,

Looking good! Interested that they have done away with F8 gaskets, something I've not heard of before, did they use just a gasket sealant?

Andy

37 minutes ago, andyhall said:

Hi Hamish,

Looking good! Interested that they have done away with F8 gaskets, something I've not heard of before, did they use just a gasket sealant?

Andy

Quite a few engine builders go down that route now, the liners are glued in.

Stuart.

59 minutes ago, andyhall said:

Do you know what is used? I may need to get new liners for my build and would consider this as an option, would assume the block liner face would need to be machined to match.

Andy

Hi Andy

i understand that there is machining work on top of block, liner seats and the liners to ensure all parallel and correct protrusion .

thus I would suggest only undertaken by a machine shop that does this regularly for our TR’s 

I am afraid I don’t know what the sealant is. 

31 minutes ago, 4Mal said:

Looking Good Hamish. Should be some good videos next year?

fingers crossed I have some winter motoring to do yet though :wacko: 

4 hours ago, BRENDA1 said:

I’ll take it out for some runs if you like, but probably not keep it as clean as mine!

Mike redrose group 

Well you’ll be covered if you have the clubs A plan insurance. :D