Rear Brake Slave Cylinders

Hi Folks,

I've just posted a concern on my TR4 Rebuild thread regarding the slave cylinders NOT sliding on the back plate.

I replace these cylinders about 4 years ago but due to the extremely low mileage ( 4 miles /year) I have only just found the issue.

The back brakes were binding and the cause was the groove down the side of the cylinder that retains the captive plates is too narrow.

The cylinder needs to slide back and forth to allow both shoes to take effect and then return to mid position

If the captive retaining plates are too tight then the cylinder will get jammed and will not release adequately - this will give binding brakes and very hot shoes etc.

Tomorrow I shall open the grooves by apprx 0.020"

I'll report back asap.

Roer

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

I've just posted a concern on my TR4 Rebuild thread regarding the slave cylinders NOT sliding on the back plate.

I replace these cylinders about 4 years ago but due to the extremely low mileage ( 4 miles /year) I have only just found the issue.

The back brakes were binding and the cause was the groove down the side of the cylinder that retains the captive plates is too narrow.

The cylinder needs to slide back and forth to allow both shoes to take effect and then return to mid position

If the captive retaining plates are too tight then the cylinder will get jammed and will not release adequately - this will give binding brakes and very hot shoes etc.

Tomorrow I shall open the grooves by apprx 0.020"

I'll report back asap.

Roer

There was a discussion on just this subject a while ago on I think the TR5 forum, basically poor castings.

Stuart.

Hi Jeff,

I trust you are well.

The answer is Yes/Maybe/No    I had two purchase at the same time.  One is fone and one is not.

The only way you can tell is -

how difficult was it to insert the retaining plates  and did the cylinder move afterwards

And do the brakes stick n.

My NSR did stick on (with the dodgy cylinder  and the OSR did not stick on.

I have inspected the back plate and can find no other reason for the issue.

Roger

One way or the other, I often modify these cylinders due to their poor casting.

Sometime, the handbrake lever can't even slide into the cylinder slot....