Push it right onto the pipe, and then some, push the pipe into the pump, then follow up with the nut, the nut will push the olive back till it touches the seat.

Bob

Make sure that you push the pipe in as far as it will go and keep pressing it in whilst you tighten the nut. 
Graham

• 2 months later...

Hello

The olive is loose on the pipe. A rather stupid question: This is a Compression Fitting I presume - doing the union up as mentioned by previous posters will squash everything together? Any advantage to (say) brazing the olive on?

I have said new olive & new shiny pipe that awaits fixing to car (item 52 in diagram) - after a pause of several years.

Thanks, Adrian

fuel.jpg

6 minutes ago, adriantr4 said:

Hello

The olive is loose on the pipe. A rather stupid question: This is a Compression Fitting I presume - doing the union up as mentioned by previous posters will squash everything together? Any advantage to (say) brazing the olive on?

I have said new olive & new shiny pipe that awaits fixing to car (item 52 in diagram) - after a pause of several years.

Thanks, Adrian

fuel.jpg

The whole point of the olive is to squash up on the pipe. Push the pipe as far in as you can then do the nut up thus squashing the olive in the correct place on the pipe to make a good seal. Do not braze it.

Stuart.