New Gear Lever Knob

I purchased something like you describe a few years ago. Absolute rubbish. I did manage to screw it onto the

gear lever but didn't last.

Buy one of these. Quality and lasts.

http://www.triumphspecialtuning.com/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=23&product_id=246

steve

This was a wooden knob with the Triumph badge on top - from Rimmer Bros for around £15. Moss are out of stock. I assumed it would be decent quality. The old one had a metal insert with a thread on it - the insert fell out when I did a recent job on the gearbox, hence buying new one. Difficult to see if there is a thread in the new one - if not its not a tight enough fit to cut its own thread.

I'll ring Rimmers on Monday.

Thanks for suggestions.

Chris

Sounds like the knob you have is an universal item to fit any gearstick size.   You’ll hate it when comes off in your hand when engaging reverse.

Nicest wooden knobs anywhere are the walnut knobs from The Roadster Factory.  They have a threaded insert to fit your gearstick

https://cod.zeni.net/trf/add_confirm.php?new=TRF8226-7

on sale at US dollars 45.00

TRF8226-7

Knob, gearshift, aftermarket (Walnut with enameled Triumph badge)

I have had the equivalent made by Amco on my car since 1980.

Alternative is the original spherical Bakelite knob which is threaded to fit the gearstick.

Peter W

22 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Sounds like the knob you have is an universal item to fit any gearstick size.   You’ll hate it when comes off in your hand when engaging reverse.

Nicest wooden knobs anywhere are the walnut knobs from The Roadster Factory.  They have a threaded insert to fit your gearstick

https://cod.zeni.net/trf/add_confirm.php?new=TRF8226-7

on sale at US dollars 45.00

TRF8226-7

Knob, gearshift, aftermarket (Walnut with enameled Triumph badge)

I have had the equivalent made by Amco on my car since 1980.

Alternative is the original spherical Bakelite knob which is threaded to fit the gearstick.

Peter W

Peter what's the thread size for a 4a gear stick knob?

Stuart

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Peter what's the thread size for a 4a gear stick knob?

Stuart

5/16 x 18 UNC TR4-6

7/16 x 32  TR2-3A

I do not know about TR 3B but would hazard it to be same as TR3A

Peter W

Can I just ask the obvious here... why didn't you just araldite the metal threaded structure back into the knob itself and save yourself all this hassle?

Alan G

Hi Alan,

I didn't want to bung up the new knob with glue only to find it then not being accepted as a return if it didn't work. Having spoken to Rimmer's today, the new knob is supposed to cut its own thread as you screw it on the gear lever. Having done this it remains wobbly however! I'll play about with it a bit more later and see what I can do - just rather a new item just fitted properly rather than have to bodge something up.

Thanks for reply.

Chris

13 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

5/16 x 18 UNC TR4-6

7/16 x 32  TR2-3A

I do not know about TR 3B but would hazard it to be same as TR3A

Peter W

Thanks Peter.

Stuart.

I  do have a small stock of new remade as original black Bakelite spherical gear knobs for TR4-6. 
These have a moulded in brass threaded insert as original that screws to the gearstick, and is then locked in place with a suitable 5/16 unc half nut. Pt no 506157

Moss sell it as MG type pt no 21B19 

Revington sell it as pt no 131246  https://www.revingtontr.com/product/131246

I can offer the few I have at £16.00 each plus postage.

Cheers

Peter W

image.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I  do have a small stock of new remade as original black Bakelite spherical gear knobs for TR4-6. 
These have a moulded in brass threaded insert as original that screws to the gearstick, and is then locked in place with a suitable 5/16 unc half nut. Pt no 506157

Moss sell it as pt no 21B19 

Revington sell it as pt no 131246  https://www.revingtontr.com/product/131246

I can offer the few I have at £16.00 each plus postage.

Cheers

Peter W

image.jpeg

I bought one of these and the lock nut off Moss, but it didn't seem to be the right thread, I've emailed them about it in case there is a problem, but seems odd that both are wrong, but then again how come I would have the wrong thread on my gear lever (TR6)? 

Gareth

With the round gear knob you don't need any lock nut as it just tightens until it cant go any further, with no gear shift pattern on the top it doesn't need to be locked off. The later TR6 tear drop knob does need the lock nut though as it has the gear shift pattern on the top.

Its so simple to sort the original though all this faff becomes irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I bought one of these and the lock nut off Moss, but it didn't seem to be the right thread, I've emailed them about it in case there is a problem, but seems odd that both are wrong, but then again how come I would have the wrong thread on my gear lever (TR6)? 

Gareth

Gareth,

Did the lock nut fit ok?   That would confirm your gearstick thread.

I know the knobs I have are the correct thread as they have been made to original drawing and sample.  They have been tested on original TR gearsticks too.

The thread is, as stated, 5/16 unc.   

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, cp25616 said:

With the round gear knob you don't need any lock nut as it just tightens until it cant go any further, with no gear shift pattern on the top it doesn't need to be locked off. The later TR6 tear drop knob does need the lock nut though as it has the gear shift pattern on the top.

Its so simple to sort the original though all this faff becomes irrelevant.

Round knobs do still need a lock nut as they do come loose when they warm up after a while.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Gareth,

Did the lock nut fit ok?   That would confirm your gearstick thread.

I know the knobs I have are the correct thread as they have been made to original drawing and sample.  They have been tested on original TR gearsticks too.

The thread is, as stated, 5/16 unc.   

Peter W

No the nut didn't fit, I didn't want to force it, tried the knob too, and felt the same as the nut. 

Gareth

Have to disagree with you Stuart, not only does the 1973 parts NOT list a nut for what is effectively the round knob, fitted up to CP53853 but of course they list a nut for the tear drop knob with pattern fitted from CP 53854 which is understandable.

I also confirmed this with a good friend of mines 1969, 1 owner from new TR6,  its never been touched in that dept. and guess what,  no nut. When ever I have tightened the round knob sans nut it never comes loose because you tighten it so it wont do so. You might use a nut but you don't need to do so.

Alan G

Edited by cp25616
1 hour ago, cp25616 said:

Have to disagree with you Stuart, not only does the 1973 parts NOT list a nut for what is effectively the round knob, fitted up to CP53853 but of course they list a nut for the tear drop knob with pattern fitted from CP 53854 which is understandable.

I also confirmed this with a good friend of mines 1969, 1 owner from new TR6,  its never been touched in that dept. and guess what,  no nut. When ever I have tightened the round knob sans nut it never comes loose because you tighten it so it wont do so. You might use a nut but you don't need to do so.

Alan G

Cross purposes, I was talking TR4/4A Im afraid which has a different stick.

Stuart.

Update: managed to force the nut on, I figured maybe the thread was damaged, anyway I've now got the gear knob on and tight!

Gareth