Pinion flange bolt loose

Hi all after some advice. Was under the car doing general lubrication and check as got a long trip today (in about two hours!) and noticed that two of the four bolts/nuts that secure the prop to the  gearbox seemed loose and I could turn by hand. The nut doesn't turn on the bolt but the bolt and nut turn together. I've not noticed any knocking noises and can't say I've ever checked them before but it this normal as it seems slightly loose when the car is jacked up and thus the prop would be slightly out of alignment.

I also can see how I'd get a spanner/socket on the bolt head side if I did need to tighten.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Archie

Definitely not normal Archie - do them up before you drive anywhere. If those are loose it would be worth checking the ones at the gearbox end too.  If they have been like that for some time the holes in the flange may have worn. 

A flailing propshaft at engine speed is no joke.

Edited by RobH

Surely the 107960 bolts sold by Moss, which I purchased when re-fitting my gearbox in May, will have the correct shank length?

I hope so (but will check) - don't want to have to replace them as it's a fiddly job.

Ian Cornish

8 minutes ago, ianc said:

Surely the 107960 bolts sold by Moss, which I purchased when re-fitting my gearbox in May, will have the correct shank length?

I hope so (but will check) - don't want to have to replace them as it's a fiddly job.

Ian Cornish

107960 certainly are specials due to their shank length.   When I re-sourced those bolts for Moss back in the 90s we got them made identical to the originals.   One must hope they continue to source from the same UK supplier who was in Gloucestershire.   Do not forget to use the correct nylocs either.

Hi Ian,

the accepted engineering practice is that Nyloc's are used once.

I appreciate that in many applications they could be used over and over again even without the Loctite - but that is not the engineering norm.

If you go to the trouble of using Loctite where will it end - do you also wire lock and use a spring washer !!!  :o

The universal bodge to re-use a Nyloc is to whack the nylon insert end with a hammer so as to deform the thread cut in the nylon so the screw will grip again.

Roger

Yes - I purchased new nyloc nuts to go with the new bolts.  One doesn't want the prop shaft coming adrift!

I keep old nylocs (and other old fixings) for odd jobs where any old nut/bolt will suffice.

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

The universal bodge to re-use a Nyloc is to whack the nylon insert end with a hammer so as to deform the thread cut in the nylon so the screw will grip again.

One learns something new every day. Clearly you are a much more expert bodger than I am. 

Rgds Ian

As a matter of course I just bin nylocs once removed and always keep a stock of new ones. I restock after after each rebuild 

Stuart

18 hours ago, Bob Smith said:

If anyone needs these bolts I have a small quantity of new unused original Stanpart propshaft bolts 107960 that I no longer require.

Hi all thanks for all the advice. In the end we took our trip in the family car as couldn’t get to the bolts with enough confidence in time. 

Will try again this week, making use of local garage’s pit. 

You all answered pretty much all my questions. Just one more.. I thought that the nylock nuts may be single use but am I ok to just tighten them if I can?

Bob thanks for offer of those bolts I’ll try to see what these are first. Is it possible to remove them completely (gearbox end) with everything in place should that be necessary?

thanks  

Hi Archie,

if you can tighten the bolt in the hole then use the existing nyloc. When it tightens down it will distort the nylon further.

If you have to remove and possibly use another bolt then you should fit a new nut.

Roger

16 minutes ago, Graham Harris said:

Yes you can get them out but you have to be able to rotate the prop shaft to get them in the right place, the one where the grease nipple is in the uni joint is the tricky one.

Graham

Remove the grease nipple, fit the bolt and tighten then refit the grease nipple.

Stuart.