Honey, the TR shrunk the valve cover seal

Hi,

adjusting the tappets yesterday I realizes the TR shrunk the valve cover seal!

It is about 10 mm too short now after about 10 years, at the front end with a opened gap to the head but not suspicious leak.

For a quick solution I ordered a new standard cork compound seal (4 € + 10 € shipping).

Any other suggestions?

Ciao, Marco

Yep, that is not uncommon.  Fit new gasket and glue it to the cover.

That’s often the cause of the oil dribble down the back of the engine causing owners to think the rear crank seal of the engine or the gearbox front seal have failed.

Some better quality alloy rocker covers are now supplied with an ‘O’ ring groove milled in the mating face where the gasket would have been.

Peter W

Hi Peter,

indeed I always thought my rear crank end is leak,

but when I had the gearbox and flywheel out last winter I found it absolutely dry.

A photo from the rear end, the seal is glued on the head.

Kfw_Cls7HiGMxU0C59463XT-mAB4CaHyk2xoftv1

A photo from the front, the seal is slack, I can see the old area marked by the cover and a new mark at the very end of the seal - and the gap.

VpzvsUFrssQbN-Rcok5w1hRudwUqiD19VPIg7at_

I'm excited to see the difference with the new seal.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I fix the cork seal to the head using wellseal (allowing it to dry first), after de-greasing. I apply grease to the top surface.

It stays put, does not leak, & is good for many "cover off" operations.

Bob.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

I fix the cork seal to the head using wellseal (allowing it to dry first), after de-greasing. I apply grease to the top surface.

Bob.

+1

Iain

Same idea but using the now available silicone rocker cover gasket: the thin one as I have an aluminium rocker cover.

Glue the gasket to the cover with high temp RTV then when set use silicone plumbers grease to fit the rocker + gasket to the head

The silicone grease allows easy removal and replacement and so far the gasket hasn't shrunk the way the cork ones do

I will report back future if I find the silicone gasket has contracted.

the real trick is the silicone grease for seal and release of the rocker cover

Michael

Hi,

I made a "model" to get the new seal fixed, glued the valve cover on it and greased the sealing surface of the head.

This worded well, after a first test drive today for about 20 km everything around the head was dry.

Thans all for your advice, this is a great forum!

Marco

On 8/21/2021 at 8:13 AM, Lebro said:

Bob.

Never thought of that , grand tip, thank you.