TR4 fuel pump problem

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

A post script  from me. I found the pump I put away the last time this happened about 10 years ago.. Great news (I think): It' a proper AC Made in England job, so I'll see about getting it done up;

Meanwhile please see picture of my two dud pumps and spot the difference! Can anyone explain why?

Mike

Pumps.JPG

The one on the right is from a different application.

Stuart.

David Davis confirms this is the right pump for TR as the  cam lever has the correct part number. He will bring pump back to original condition and have it back to me in a couple of days tops and for a very reasonable price. And yes I confirm he is a charming gent!  

So far as mirror image is concerned can't think why its 180 out, screw heads do show  evidence of PO interference. Receipt history shows engine bottom end was restored in 1989-91, so I guess it happened then

Mike

Edited by MikeF

Hi,

this will be a spare part engine for my TR4A, I've been told it's also from a 4A, at least the cylinder head is the correct one.

oQCsiSls25591T8zrBaklHSiIrFgAacK7ufdJtXK

You see the lovely gravy in the filter bowl and the primer lever bended, I guess the engine felt on it anytime.....:wacko:

eejlhtziQ3zlmrRb87b7kSxJSklitY9HbWzZ2frf

Working on the car the rear nut is a bit annoying, later you see what I did there for my car.

It's a AC pump "Made in England" and if it is the correct one the lever must be made of layers of hardend steel, als Rich told earlier today.

tQNcbkyPuHsOca0FDoOejOFQHc8TEr77vuAqKHdP

Bingo!

The "gravy" seems more to be caramel / fudge

G10vmhmU8Xd0FJbwXq5VZimLWly7RsZIOW-qi4Qt

To the engine I found only one paper seal, nothing "shimmed", BTW that makes no sence.

Because lifting the lever by the cam shaft only SUCKS petrol, the pressure is caused by the spring inside the pump on the diaphragm.

You can't adjust this and this is why to shim the pump to the engine body causes nothing (against what is often told).

gvirtyX7zUXJ32pWG1BccXDIOdWWwDZs77zMdOZj

On the workbench, sprayed with WD40

u_f2SoUjAvJwtCNS-dJhDcqrtL5E_NdRdAknohgI

The primer lever bended back

SXqrmKeoEJa8q5ye6KiuyUMMnotEvvDub9pyXSl8

The" caramel" I made liquid with some petrol to separate the rust from the cream!

3W38i3tftwULB8TbkzwAHJ6ZHqWu2dd9NAbFM21O

The bowl cleaned I to my surprice I found the "AC" logo again!

yDVETL3nFO7D-iKzfgWXCaxKRZifmKTSATCve_YR

The bowl is a great thing to keep the dust (mainly) away from the sieve! I'm shure this sieve worked!

nKmPnbGoP1hCBfAKXiHhHhmbaa8ghk-0hTajbpW8

Slightly cleaned with a brass brush

DYFXG-QlInSF8widtI_oiwrHm0kNAYsM_SZu7ouW

If you ever have probems to get a new repro pump not petrol sealed check this sieve!

It must be only a minimum wider than the rubber seal, if it has the same size you have to cut it smaller, if the Chinese did not.

H15ZhIDupV8ICz5yidhCSz8E27cpUSpRbVn9-Zz3

You can imagine why I know....

That's it for today, Marco

Edited by Z320

Shimming the pump from the bode does make a difference..

The further the spring is compressed, the higher the pressure, so if the pump is shimmed the spring will not be compressed as much, so the pressure it exerts on the diaphragm will be less.

Bob..

Bob, sorry me,

I have been told this so often and never believed it.

But to test it anyway I shimmed my pump in steps of 0.6 mm up to 1.8 mm!

It caused nothing.

It's a membran pump and the pressure is construction related.

That makes it very save and easy to use.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
1.8 mm, not 6.0 mm

I remember a thread at the German www.TR-Freun.de with one answer from an experienced workshop owner:

the membran pump of the Spitfire Mk 4 1500 has to be shimmed with a spacer,

because the lever is to long, it brakes in pieces at the first engine start if you do not shim it with a pacer.....

Edited by Z320

Testing the pump in a bucket of water I notice:

it doesn't pump the fuel way, but it pumps water in and out the breather hole.

So the membran works and there must be a oil seal in.

On the 6 screws it is visible the pump has been opended already some years ago, and the locking washers are missing.

The pump was already in the ultrasonic bath for 30 min and prepared with a brass brush ...

RSA7hx1ewhxLyNWUIzmS-rmZGNGj7RM9861e5y6M

In the opened pump all surfaces are covered with crud from the petrol, specially the inlet valve, but all looks OK

b1Jr26wP6nByDZxxL8mC68wmhak8-Q7KIvc-kxXz

Twisting the membran 90° left or right the push rod is unlocked and it is possible to pull it gently out of the pump body (through the oil seal).

XN5tuJCMP-16DZbm8GZlr924QU0QfJ1xNXZDN1xd

The tin cap holding the oil seal I found not correct pressed in (right side deeper than left).

Cx5fnG7y76JTVbBlobKS26tYDEIinBV7i4z5eb3T

Easy to get it out with a flat screw driver

vPubxDt8S6Ttg5xxZtG3Uz0XxPpBW_BySSqYYrBE

Shaft pressed out after removing the clip on one side, I found a washer / spacer on both sides,

But I don't know if they have to be between the lever and the pump body (like on the photo) or between the levers (able in both positions).

LuJ_2KYJGEu7wfhoi4axxn38si5vSDqrIBlCYczR

Time to look on the surfaces, which have to seal the pump with the membran, they look OK.

QLVOhBB1j1LrQurx9Ks3BX5ycxQACNgR9B6ymLuS

But moving the body over sand paper (glued on a flat surface) shows the truth:

the body is made of soft zinc cast and tightening the 6 screws too much bends the flanges up!

zXsB_E3n16E8og4sgylCzW1ZCuVGFJ4djmM3XVg7

But this is OK already, next photos are from a "Made in Canada" pump, 2015 on my workshop, totally bended.

H88Clpu1QbKXmheJ_DY9llzlD0FeQNGoKtrdxgge

This surface was only possible to get sealed after many moves over the sandpaper

ZopBtO2TkfP64eSBebJFoAcyxUuiKjH3aighBqVD

Back to my todays AC pump, the cover's flange also looks good. The marks on the zinc show the valves have been removed before.

After cleaning they worked lovely again and I let them in their position

47YANOivfThn3EWTXur2HyrC9lgCbf50XWw4kx2-

Sand paper test shows; no need to do more

CTfWxXFdNT4CCG7pKW3EmomVkInBfhjzvydl6WC1

Body was only to get clean by sand blasting, I used a very fine quartz sand, the levers are only cleaned with petrol and a brass brush

9s_fZdkzA1dyMYoBh6lMxEsJ4GEiYkfEWJVO-OgW

The lever was drilled very accurate, not easy with this high quality of steel. I have seen this already different on repro pumps.

No special sideward movement, I shimmed the lever anyway, shure not needed.

KTFsFhBJPObW8SmsD6oYSmyNNrmN-bP-xC0KqP2-

The membran after cleaning I found it in good condition, I further will use it. And it is an original AC!

rhNV6Vs_RWlZMWh9KL7x4mD-RA0vhbpBwLvWSZYO

On the photos it is slightly oiled

THOfQfvUbvgJvRVE0WQGWLpXuDeDUVNtWLK7kNCT

The assambly beginns, I pressed the oil seal with the tin cap in.

In my opinion this is also a pertol seal to avoid pertol draining in the engine in the case of al failed membran...

K_YNSiOtvJ8vu1qbQ6YYo4OiliBPcYF77JvSGAtp

To get the shaft in later the use of a 6 mm awl could be helpful - but it is a puzzle anyway.

Qz9APSDZ35Jg0bBQkFsFpUj1ZzweHGDUGkcA4egL

Next fit the main spring. It is relatively soft and makes the fuel pressure by pressing the membran up.

FPBRFw3WSy7snk0y4nACZy7qNno3Q6Zt5IYlGa1r

Next the membran through and twisted 90° left or right to lock it in the lever.

Make this gentle to avoid damage of the seal.

rJa4DsAU9A-hRpuREsdAOXb1Xbt4idZdYs8miI3F

6AsADJfXTtbMZo_HZvgnY27tcplwFSVyUuLIcS3b

Next is the @%$§!!@ job to get the shaft through (no photo of this).

Next photo the assambly is already finished, please don't torque the 6 screws (now with lock washers) not to tight.

HdFadV2cJQROwNYHCXxvqBj3sm0hxDi8avhpUEIc

imhQ2opHpYSc0NAvwsfBuxZHKl8JDhEcWDZhD5Y-

x6s9FRY4q_Fv9WOHUAaNGve4YDBAWstgq73xWoiw

Tested by pulling the lever it works by pumping air. YES, this membran pumps can pump air!

Yesterday I mentioned the annoying rear nut, not easy to undo and fix near the road (in the unlikly case of a failture).

Next you see my solution of the issue, I already introduced this some time ago (1/2" hex bar reduced to 9 mm on the late)

Ki0VF8Y-VJPkR6NGBFtD6bhIUPsEOYFK1wdb4gIs

Tomorrow with better light I will make some photos with the pump on the engine.

If you decide to keep your mechanical pump and restore it I wish you good luch and much success!

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320