windscreen wiper wheelbox replacement

How must this wheelbox be replaced (from ClassicBits) ? Must I remove the dashboard?

I also would like to replace the actual wire rack: can this be done without removing the wiper motor?

And where can I get decent wiper blade replacements. Some time ago I had ordered a pair but they are cr*p Taiwanese junk.

IMG_20210820_160233.jpg

Edited by earckens
grammar

No need to remove the dashboard, just the speedo  and the glove box liner, whip them out and sit in the seats for easy-ish access after you remove the small panel held with self tappers.

Pretty sure you can withdraw the rack after disconnecting at the motor. I replaced the black formers that go on the wheelboxes  and under the bulkhead with home made steel tube, because I needed to do the job, when an after market item split when I tightened the eight sided chrome nut that holds the wheelbox in place..

John

8 sided chrome nuts are fitted to TR6 which has the round bodied wiper motor.  (37H 7738 wheel box)

All TR3-5 used the square bodied DR type wiper motor that uses a wheel box fitted with 6 sided nuts.   (37H 6316 wheel box).  

Get it wrong and you will destroy the threads as they are different between the two types of wheel box.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

8 sided chrome nuts are fitted to TR6 which has the round bodied wiper motor.  (37H 7738 wheel box)

All TR3-5 used the square bodied DR type wiper motor that uses a wheel box fitted with 6 sided nuts.   (37H 6316 wheel box).  

Get it wrong and you will destroy the threads as they are different between the two types of wheel box.

Peter W

Do you mean that the thread for the driver wire is different between TR6 and TR3-5?

The wheelbox in my picture was ordered from ClassicBits and is the TR3-5 type box. The wiper motor is a square-bodied type.

What could be destroyed, the wheelboxes?

Ah No.

I thought from memory the chrome nut had eight sides, Peter simply pointed out that the early cars had six sides and that the nuts were not interchangable.

From your picture, you have a new six sided nut on a new thread, so absolutely correct, and no issues.

John.

As John has stated it is the thread of the nuts that changes.  
The wire or rack that drives between motor and wheel boxes on all TR3A to 8 is the same diameter and pitch.  Only it’s overall length changes.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT