Heads Up - For Sale In Classifieds - Brand New TR2/3 Alloy Fuel Tank

Hi all - I know lots of people don't regularly visit Classifieds, so this is just a heads up.

I've just put a brand new TR2/3 alloy fuel tank in Classifieds for sale at £250 - this is a top quality tank manufactured in the UK by Alicool. Their tank prices have just gone up and this unit should be over £370, so this represents an absolute bargain - PM me if interested

Cheers Rich

Roger - thanks for the info - I was aware the very early TR2s were different, but I thought the later 2 and 3s were the same, which in turn was different again to the 3A - there always appears to be confusion with these early tanks which is why I included photos from all angles so anyone can check it's similar to their current one - it was Alicool who told me this tank was not for the early 2s or the 3A but for both models in between so it's not a one size fits all - their website (www.alicool.co.uk ) lists the 3 variants.

Anybody interested in the tank, please check it matches what you need.

Cheers Rich

Richard, to the very best of my knowledge, there isn't a 'very early TR2 tank', it's just

a TR2 tank.It's different in shape and capacity to a TR3 tank.The TR3 tank was made so

that the occasional rear seat backrest would still allow some room for a passenger with

resultant loss in fuel capacity.This was an option that was introduced in 1956, so no TR2

involvement.Revington list a correct TR2 ally tank, recognising the differences.There is no need

to compromise on the correct item, but maybe the price is more important to some as the later TR3

tank will physically fit the space in a TR3 but requires some alterations to mounting and to interior trim.

You may wish to clarify with Alicool which one it is that you offer for sale.You may also ask why

they don't make a TR2 specific tank?

Cheers

Roger

Yes the Alicool tank quality is very good.

However……We have discussed this before.    The vent system that Alicool fit is not complete and when the tank is brim full, will ‘vent’ fuel out of the welded boss into the fuel vent pipe and down onto the road.   Making a horrid smell of fuel in the process.

I have resolved this by blanking the vent and drilling the fuel cap metal sealing plate to be a vent, which is how late TR4 onwards have it.

Peter W

Peter - thanks for pointing out the fuel vent issue with these tanks re the breather, and the simple resolution - as you say, apart from this, the tanks are great quality and value - the problem is I'm not aware of anyone else making a comparable tank which addresses this - I'm told Alicool are however working to address this.

Roger - You have much more knowledge than me about these things - I am only going on what Alicool have told me and I have copied and pasted extracts from their website below - this has thrown up they have the wrong photo for their AC25 later TR2/3 tank which they will be correcting, but nevertheless, they are still saying there are 3 different tanks to cover the TR2/TR3/TR3A models, as shown in the extracts below - the tank I am selling is item 2 below (AC 25) and I deliberately included the maximum 5 photos I am allowed in my Classified Ad so prospective purchasers could satisfy themselves as to what they needed. Given that my tank, which is brand new and unused is £124 cheaper than from Alicool, I am a little surprised that I have had no interest in it. Similarly, you may note I listed a couple of alloy rads for various models at the same time which also represent stonking savings over normal prices, and yet again, I have had no interest - all these items were at Malvern as well, and I do have to wonder why I do this when enthusiasts are constantly complaining about the quality and price of parts, yet when I very clearly address both these issues, I don't seem to get very far - its very disillusioning!

Cheers Rich:(

Extract from Alicool website

1.Triumph TR2 Early (53-55) Fuel Tank.

This fits first issue TR2, model with more upright rear seats. Fitment as original, beautifully manufactured in a aluminum. Supplied with all required bungs

All prices exclude VAT and delivery

Part No: AC55

Polished Aluminium Finish £312.00 

Powder Coated Black £20.00 

image.png.0cc7309a3ac7d2efa640a6bdf49ce785.png

2. Triumph TR2-3 (302125AL) Fuel Tank

Direct fitment as per original tank. Supplied with all required bungs. Available powder coated black if preferred. This tank is model that has outlet in the bottom centre of tank. Every tank sold comes with a pressure test certificate (testing performed by Alicool qualified engineer). Every tank carries a 12 month warranty.

Part No: AC25

Note - photo on website is wrong - underneath of these tanks has a much more right angled cut out - see the photo in my Classifieds

3  Triumph TR3A (303999AL) Fuel Tank

Direct fitment as per original tank. Supplied with all required bungs. Available powder coated black if preferred. Every tank sold comes with a pressure test certificate (testing performed by Alicool qualified engineer). Every tank carries a 12 month warranty.

Part No: AC99

image.png.4d455bf2492a65f3b15b97e01429f39f.png

Rich - don't despair, it's holiday time for many and others will have spent all their money at Malvern!

Ian Cornish

P.S. I took a boxed, complete, unused Kenlowe fan kit to Malvern, and put it in the Bring & Buy for £90 (similar fans cost about £170).

No takers, which greatly surprised one of the fellows running the B&B when Maddy collected the Kenlowe for me on Sunday afternoon.

It's now for sale in the Classifieds here.

Rich,

Don't be disillusioned! There are so many, including yours truly, who honestly think you are doing the TR Register a great service and respect your generosity with your time and kindness. I am thinking of all your work on the wiper motors, for example, or the steel cowling for different models. And I probably don't know the half of it!

Perhaps we might suggest that your name should also appear in a banner in the Forum?

David

Edited by DavidBee
45 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Rich,

Don't be disillusioned! There are so many, including yours truly, who honestly think you are doing the TR Register a great service and respect your generosity with your time and kindness. I am thinking of all your work on the wiper motors, for example, or the steel cowling for different models. And I probably don't know the half of it!

Perhaps we might suggest that your name should also appear in a banner in the Forum?

David

+1

Peter W

David/Peter - thank you very much for your kind comments, but please no banners etc - I am more than happy being in a great club, with great cars and with great people who I get a kick out of helping - that's more than enough "banner" for me!!

In fairness to Alan T, as you mentioned wiper motors, my motor exploits fall into insignificance compared to his, so he is definitely the "go to" man - my wiper motors are properly rebuilt but their finish is nowhere near as good as Alan's.

I'll keep plugging away with my parts, and on a slowly decreasing basis so I can concentrate on my own rebuilds, but thank you once again for your generous sentiments

cheers Rich