Speedometer "wobbling" when driving

When on the road my TR4 speedometer "wobbles" with a 20kph margin, ie when driving presumably 60kph, it wobbles between 50 and 70.

I checked the cable connecting between the engine and the speedometer: good fit, no worn ends on either side (nice squared ands), sufficiently but sparingly greased.

What would I have to do to get this meter to read steadily?

Mine did that for a time. Might be caused by the cable being bent slightly. It should follow a route that means there are no sharp bends and should go through the hole in the bulkhead nearest the back of the speedo. Also pull the inner cable out and give it a good clean. I use a bit of thin oil for lubrication - just enough to thinly coat the cable (use an oily rag). Grease can go hard and then the inner cable can bind slightly especially if the cable isn't routed smoothly.

If any grease has got into the speedo in the past then it can get onto the spinning disc inside and cause erratic readings.

In my experience the fault was with the cable not the speedo itself.

Keith

11 hours ago, Deggers said:

Thoroughly clean, then coat with graphite powder. 

+1

There are many instances where graphite powder should be used instead of oil.

For example I was always told to never oil door locks (of any sort), use graphite powder instead.

Charlie.

21 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

Try driving the speedo directly with an electric drill.

But make sure it is running anti-clockwise !

I removed the cable, cleaned all residual grease (not much), restored and did the drill test. I held the drill my wife read the meter, went up to 25 and stable. A road test will not be soon as I am still busy with front suspension overhaul and waiting for parts (oillite bushings, the last one refused to go in and bust, no spares).

Edited by earckens

James - I thought you had but one wife: Alison. 

During lockdown in France, in addition to TR and boating, have you started an additional hobby: polygamy?

Ian Cornish