Surrey Top on a TR6

I am interested in fitting a surrey top (with vinyl roof section) to my TR6 and am sure I have seen this done but I can't seem to find one?

Is there a kit available for a TR6 or does the TR4 / 5 kit fit?

Hi Hawk,

the TR4/4A/5 kit will fit on the TR6.

Honeybourne make a very decent glassfibre rear frame and roof.

At the week-end, at the TR/MG show, Ben Ferguson had on display his first  prototype rear frame and it looked very very good.

Roger

I borrowed and fitted a surrey top to my TR6 when our first child arrived and the TR6 was my daily driver. From memory from 30 years ago, it does take a bit of fettling. The rear screen fixings lined up with the TR6 hardtop fixings but I needed to drill out the captive nuts on the rear deck, as the surrey top fixed from underneath rather than from the top like the hardtop. I think the windscreen frame headrail also needed to be swapped over for a different one, perhaps to give a lip for the canvas to engage into? Both easy to do and reasonably quick.

It stayed on for a few years, then we had twins. That was a challenge too far so converted the TR6 back to standard and bought a eurobox.

Mick

You'll have to detach the soft top, including the "rear retainer bar" and you will need that windscreen capping strip for the surrey that  Mick described. Mounting to the B pillar varies with the backlight frames manufacturer  My frame is a MICROPLAS with a Triplex glass. I'm not sure about the current availability of Microplas...I've read about successful installation of the one that Rimmer Bros, sells

TR6 Spring 2018 .JPG

My TR6 with a Honeybourne Surrey top is on page 58 of the latest TRACTION.

They are quite easy fit but it will involve drilling the centres of the captive nuts in the rear deck so that the 6mm studs on the backlight can pass through. The backlight comes supplied with 7 studs but the front 2 have to be cut off when fitting to a 6. For the fixings to the top of the B posts I made a bracket that picks up the holes for the hood frame. I did not use the bar that tucks under the windscreen top but did the modification that uses a  TR6 header rail which works well.

All in all I am happy with the setup as I gives more space in the rear for our dog, the visibility is better then with the hood up, plus there is no need for a breeze breaker

George 

Or you could have a hard top with webasto sunroof!

20210701_152822.jpg

A regular figment by Alan Wadley  of TR Workshop back in the ‘80’s and 90’s.  When we would buy a rust ridden MOT failed TR 4/4A for £300 to break as it had a good bonnet o/d  gearbox and Surrey top.

The screen capping with the extended front lip was the biggest challenge.   Wadley had the front of the fabric modified with a TR6 header rail to get round the issue, but of course the header rail is a monster item to stow in the boot compared to the original arrangements 

Peter W

I recently purchased a red hardtop with an original Britax sliding roof in it, I don’t know how old the photo of the red car is, but could it have been the roof I bought? It was quite rusty but I have repaired it and refurbished the Britax sunroof and love it. I had previously inserted a soft top from America in a previous hardtop but the Britax one is much better. There was a TR5 with the same Britax roof in its centre hardtop at Malvern, which was apparently done from new! Would love to form a backlight from a TR6 hardtop, with a split Targa that would stow in the boot. I have seen it on Spitfires but has anyone done it to a TR?

77A37980-2228-480D-A57A-8FE0F90A67B0.jpeg

15 hours ago, harlequin said:

My TR6 with a Honeybourne Surrey top is on page 58 of the latest TRACTION.

They are quite easy fit but it will involve drilling the centres of the captive nuts in the rear deck so that the 6mm studs on the backlight can pass through. The backlight comes supplied with 7 studs but the front 2 have to be cut off when fitting to a 6. For the fixings to the top of the B posts I made a bracket that picks up the holes for the hood frame. I did not use the bar that tucks under the windscreen top but did the modification that uses a  TR6 header rail which works well.

All in all I am happy with the setup as I gives more space in the rear for our dog, the visibility is better then with the hood up, plus there is no need for a breeze breaker

George 

Yes I saw that (looks good btw) and I have reached out to Honeybourne on the back of your post .... thanks. 

13 hours ago, Tim D. said:

20210701_152822.jpg

I'm not a fan of complete hardtops (even with a sunroof) and am looking for that halfway house between hard top and rag top.  

BTW, I've got a recon injector in my garage for you and will have to pop round soon.  

Pete

There is a Dutch TR6 that has a hardtop converted to a Surrey backlight, I had a photo of it somewhere and will try to dig it out.

It's a Marmite thing (a bit like a Surrey on a TR6) but I was not sure it worked.

George 

Do you get more exhaust smell in the cabin with a Surrey top fitted?

I recently fitted a wind blocker which works very well especially when the windows are up, but I notice more exhaust smell in the cabin like this and I wonder if this would be any different with the Surrey top or hard top/targa type arrangements.

Rob

27 minutes ago, Rob Y said:

I recently fitted a wind blocker which works very well especially when the windows are up, but I notice more exhaust smell in the cabin like this and I wonder if this would be any different with the Surrey top or hard top/targa type arrangements.

Rob

My car is not fuel injection and I have the standard style exhaust so I don't suffer from exhaust fumes normally and certainly did not notice any change after  fitting the Surrey backlight 

George 

33 minutes ago, Rob Y said:

Rob

I am hoping that a surrey top would reduce any exhaust gases getting into the cabin but interested to hear on other's experience / thoughts

I have fitted one to my Tr6 hill climb car, quite easy really. I think it suits the 6. 

9599CD33-71EB-49D3-AD90-D62970CF4D96.jpeg

Hi Clem, that looks really nice, is it attached to the roll cage at the top?

I'm looking for something that'll reduce the buffeting on long drives and it looks like that might do the trick. I'm using a mesh screen at the moment that really does make a difference, but it's still very tiring on 12 hour drives and I prefer not to have the roof up.

No it’s fitted to the rear deck and side decks. Bolted on. It has a Perspex glass. So very light.

Moss do a full soft top option. About £1000 + vat. But it’s fibre glass not ally.

6 hours ago, rwest said:

Hi Clem, that looks really nice, is it attached to the roll cage at the top?

I'm looking for something that'll reduce the buffeting on long drives and it looks like that might do the trick. I'm using a mesh screen at the moment that really does make a difference, but it's still very tiring on 12 hour drives and I prefer not to have the roof up.

This is my motivation as well.  As far as I am concerned the rood is down unless it is raining but even with a wind breaker, long journeys begin to grate

On 8/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, Tim D. said:

20210701_152822.jpg

That looks fabulous !