DVLA and registration woes.

After almost completing the renovation of my 1964 TR4, which I imported from Texas USA. the DVLA sent an inspector to view the car.

In order to obtain a first UK registration. It was assigned a "D" registration number denoting a 1966 build.

Not being especially pleased with their inspectors knowledge,  I wrote to them with the information that the car was a 1964 build in December of that year. that was on May 25th

(Always keep proof of posting slip)  I included a BMIHT certificate, today almost 3 months later I received a letter from the DVLA advising me of my new 1964 registration number

with a "B" suffix.   I do know Covid has been a sod,  but 3 months?  is this the norm these days.  got there eventually I suppose.

It would seem so, my mother had to wait around 3 months for her driving licence renewal by post.

I suspect that electronic communication is reasonable turnaround but there does not seem to be anyone opening the post.

Jerry

DVLA is way behind in its work. To renew my driving licence every 3 years, I have to undertake a sight test at an optometrist's nominated by the DVLA.  

With licence expiring 2nd August, I completed the licence renewal forms in mid-May but, having heard nothing by early July, I sat on the phone for 30 minutes until a helpful Welsh lady said that the documents had been received, had been scanned in mid-June, and as long as my Doctor stated that my sight met the test's requirements, I could continue to drive - this is covered by a DVLA document INF188/6.

My consultant at Stoke Mandeville's Ophthalmics Dept. has given me the OK and so I'm continuing to drive - and I'm waiting to hear from DVLA about the sight test.

I believe there's a huge backlog in testing for those wishing to become HGV drivers, and in other areas, too.

Ian Cornish

My HGV license is due, DVLA should send me the forums 56 days before my license ends medical and eye test, but did not and still have not sent them. But as we are a little bit organised we had picked up the forums before the date required and also had the medical and eye test done, we then posted as required. We have been in contact with the DVLA and they had received all the paper work and is in the system. If my license HGV is not back in time I just have to have time off and get out in the TR as my car license is still in date.

Mike redrose group 

Edited by BRENDA1