What may be the cause that stops my tr6 from going past 70 mph?

Having the car detailed where I live means it has been thoroughly cleaned. Detailing has nothing to do with tuning or repairing the car.

Most TR problems are ignition so that needs to be sorted out first. Even with new parts the problem can remain because the parts are defective. 

Once the ignition system is proven to be working correctly with timing right move onto the fuel system.

If the car has an original fuel pump it is unlikely to be a problem, possible but unlikely. Mechanical fuel pumps either work or they don't, if it fails there will be no fuel to the carbies and the engine won't go. 

There could be blockages in the fuel lines preventing enough fuel getting to the engine to sustain higher power settings. The first check here is the fuel filter/s.

It is possible the carbies need a good tune. If they are running extremely lean you could be running out of puff at higher speeds. But you can't tune the carbies until the rest of the engine tune is correct, they are done last.

If you aren't handy mechanically either get a local owner with experience to help you, as we do here, or let the mechanics sort it out, just tell them the symptoms.

10 hours ago, Ronald Morris said:

Thanks, I will bring that question to the men/ mechanics at Triumph rescue tomorrow.  They are located in Bally Pa. and they did all my work. I'll be in contact with you all tomorrow. If you can think of anything else that may be the issue I would appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Ron

Welcome Ron,

Levity now.

Yes check when you push the accelerator pedal to the floor the carb throttles move through the full movement (90 degrees)

Another forum user had similar issue and it turned out to be the rubber connector hose in the fuel line from the tank to the pump.   The inside of the pipe had degraded and swollen so the hole was substantially reduced, this was due to reaction with the fuel passing through it.  

He replaced the hoses that joined the rigid pipes together in the main fuel line and now drives gets full throttle and engine revs in most gears.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Was it running fine during your ownership?

If so what, if anything was changed prior to the problem starting.  That's the logical starting point.

After that change one thing at a time.  Check timing, plugs, points, condenser, coil.

Check fuel flow is adequate.

Possibly far too retarded spark. Try setting the static timing to around 18 deg BTDC, which is about right for a low compression head and disconnect both vacuum capsules. If that impoves driving get the distributor overhauled.

Hi Ron,

the octan number of fuel (ROZ /MOZ) has nothing to do with the fuel's energie or power.

It is an indication for the not self ignition of the fuel when compressed by the piston (and the engines heat).

But with higher octan you can built an engine with higher compression - and this is more powerful, not the fuel itself.

Sunocos 87 octan fuel must be wrong or MOZ (reference is a hot engine at high revs), 

at Europe ROZ is common (reference is a cold engine at low revs), this gives higher numbers, common is 95-100 octane ROZ.

Ciao, Marco

87 octom MOZ made me wonder, this would be very good quality.

And indeed Google says at the USA is (ROZ+MOZ) x 0.5 common.

87 US octan is about 91 Europe octan, not possible to buy here at Germany.

I use 95 octan, some of us use 98 octan.

Test some 90 or 93 US octane fuel .... and look for ignition and carbs / fuel supply 

BUT please not, more octan anyway is not more energie

Edited by Z320
On 8/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, Ronald Morris said:

what is PI ? I have the carbs that are original to the car. I am based in Philadelphia, Pa. I put 87 octane from sunoco

If the octane rating is too low for your timing settings the engine will ping- I don't know whether 87 is OK as the US and Australia measure octane ratings differently. But your fuel must be fresh.

If they are Zenith-Stromberg carbs with the engine NOT running...put a brick or something on the accelerator pedal so it's 'floored'

Then look at your carbs to see if their throttle stop levers are in firm contact with the 'stop'

Throttle STOP 002.JPG

I have had issues with other cars regarding the ignition centrifugal advance. In my latest project (a Mk1 cortina) the car suddenly lost its ability to exceed 50 mph.

I checked the  dizzy and the centrifugal advance had jammed.  When I dismantled the dizzy I found a screw like that used to hold the points on to the baseplate jammed in the mechanism. It hadn't come from the currently installed points as all screws where there.. when I looked some more there were 2 more similar screws in the bottom of the dizzy.. looked like someone kept dropping them when they were fitting the points :D

Unfortunately the dizzy was toast but fitted a new recon and all was fab!

Tim

On 8/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, Ronald Morris said:

what is PI ?

PI = Lucas Mk II Petrol Injection. Irrelevant in your case as your car has carburettors. Adds a whole new dimension to the joys and sorrows of a car so equipped (they weren't sold in USA). I love it. Others, not so much. Some ( @Tom FremontI'm looking at you!) say Webers are the only way to get fuel into a TR 6 cylinder. May they live long enough to see the errors of their ways :D

Cheers,
John

You mentioned the car dying when you pressed the  accelerator. The only thing that really changes is the centrifugal bob weights which adjust the ignition timing. As the bob weights move out they cause the base plate of the points to rotate which adjusts the ignition timing. On the base plate inside the distributor there is a two  inch long earth wire that completes the electrical circuit for the points. After fifty years of flexing that may have cracked causing a break in the circuit as the base plate rotate at higher revs. it is worth a quick look.

Alan