Re-packing front wheel bearings

I fitted proper new  (and expensive!) Timken bearings 10 years ago, together with an anti-pad knock off kit from TRE and I have not touched the hubs since. By judicious shimming I was able to achieve undetectable end float with zero binding and this condition is unchanged after 55K miles. I note that the 4A owners handbook recommends re-packing these bearings every 24K miles for a car in 'normal' use, as mine is.

What is the received wisdom - am I on borrowed time or should I work on the basis of  'It it ain't broke don't fix it'?

Tim 

You could ask TRE ?

but after 55k think I’d be tempted to have a look and give them some fresh grease 

H

2 hours ago, Z320 said:

Sorry me, I did not know 

No need to apologise at all. 
we often ( and shouldn’t really) lapse into acronyms or initials/shorthand that exclude some people.

:unsure:

Could I ask what  might be a silly question.

When "repacking" - exactly how much grease is packed? e.g. For the Front, does the middle chamber need to be be filled/partially filled, or is it just working grease into the bearings themselves?

as andrew says its really about getting as much grease into the bearings themselves both the  inner and outer race.

in the old days with motorcycle chains you used to warm a pan of grease so its more fluid, put the chain in and let it cool so it sets again and remove the congealed mess and wipe off the excess

not tried it with a bearing yet but it would ensure it is filled.

Edited by Hamish

..I remember doing that with bicycle chains Hamish. I recall there was a branded tin of grease for the purpose I think.

Thanks for the comments. It's strange isn't it, all those things we've done before, perhaps with our Fathers advice in our youth, but now either can't recall the detail, or start to overthink it or wonder if we have been doing it right.....

10 minutes ago, Hamish said:

you can still get something similar it seems

I use aerosol chain-wax Hamish. Sprays on as a runny liquid and dries as a thin waxy film. Good for the bike and works well on leaf-springs too because it penetrates between the leaves.